Diving in While Pregnant

Former Member
Former Member
Any ideas? Is it okay to dive in the pool, off the blocks or off the side while in your first trimester? I am an avid swimmer for the last 15 or so years.
  • I'm a guy...so I've never actually carried a child. But I am a father of two. I'd say that if you have to ask then you probably ought to refrain. Is it that important during these few months? Just my opinion. An OB-GYN's opinion might be more valuable here. Dan
  • Hi Fishy-- I didn't compete during any of my (3) pregnancies so I didn't need to dive. I did practice all the way up to delivery days, though. I always just did a feet first entry in the water for practice to be on the safe side. Not sure what your OB would say about diving for a meet - probably good to ask.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I was told not to dive in while I was pregnant (in any trimester) because it could increase the risk of placental abruption.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Hi! I'm not an OB but I'm a mother of 2. I don't think it's safe to dive when you're pregnant. Might as well wait after pregnancy and dive anytime you want.