Runny nose after swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Every time after a swim workout I get a runny nose, which seems to result from my nose and maybe my sinuses becoming dry. I've tried several things - using a nose clip while swimming, using a neti pot afterwards, and using an allergy relief spray with natural ingredients, but to no avail. For much of the rest of the day I'll be sniffling, having to blow my nose and it will be dripping. Some days are worse than others, but it can also interfere a little with my sleep. I really want to get into a regular routine of swim workouts, but this is getting in my way of being productive after I'm done swimming that day. Other than this, I have no problems breathing or anything like that. Any advice on how to treat or prevent this? Would taking a hot shower after I get home do the trick?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    About twenty years ago my nose was running after swimming, and the next day I would be sneezing. A girl who swam with us, a masters world butterfly champion and record holder, always wore a nose clip. I asked her why? She replied, "If I don't, then my nose would be running, and the next day I would be sneezing non-stop." I went out and bought a nose-clip and the result was instant. I've always worn a nose clip since that day and have never suffered since. I have never swum even 25 metres since that day without wearing a nose clip. Even in competition.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    About twenty years ago my nose was running after swimming, and the next day I would be sneezing. A girl who swam with us, a masters world butterfly champion and record holder, always wore a nose clip. I asked her why? She replied, "If I don't, then my nose would be running, and the next day I would be sneezing non-stop." I went out and bought a nose-clip and the result was instant. I've always worn a nose clip since that day and have never suffered since. I have never swum even 25 metres since that day without wearing a nose clip. Even in competition.
Children
No Data