Side stroke and frozen shoulder

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, A few months ago I tried to break out of sedentary habits and begin exercising by swimming at my local pool (a bout of 20 minutes of vigorous sidestroke laps. Sidestroke is what I am most comfortable with.) Sometime after that I developed a frozen shoulder, which continues to bother me even after a couple of months of physical therapy (which ended several weeks ago.) I am tempted to return to the swimming but was curious as to whether or not it would be advisable to do the sidestroke. (I have gentle exercises prescribed for me to do specifically for the shoulder as well.) Maybe this is a question for my doctor. Any advice is gratefully appreciated, thank you.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Thanks for your note, this is very helpful information. Recently I started exercising more regularly and (while not in the pool yet) it seems to be helping. Best wishes, B10 About 4 years ago I had a frozen shoulder. As you know it sort of sneaks up on you. As I have been swimming a long time I am used to complaining about sore shoulders, or torn rotator cuffs or whatever so I initially just ignored it. Assuming it was more of the same. And because I did not want to be told to stop swimming. So I kept on swimming. After about 4 months of increasing pain that was so severe I could not sleep I went to the doctor who diagnosed frozen shoulder. But here is the thing, he said that the fact that I kept on swimming kept my shoulder from completely freezing up and was in fact good for it.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Thanks for your note, this is very helpful information. Recently I started exercising more regularly and (while not in the pool yet) it seems to be helping. Best wishes, B10 About 4 years ago I had a frozen shoulder. As you know it sort of sneaks up on you. As I have been swimming a long time I am used to complaining about sore shoulders, or torn rotator cuffs or whatever so I initially just ignored it. Assuming it was more of the same. And because I did not want to be told to stop swimming. So I kept on swimming. After about 4 months of increasing pain that was so severe I could not sleep I went to the doctor who diagnosed frozen shoulder. But here is the thing, he said that the fact that I kept on swimming kept my shoulder from completely freezing up and was in fact good for it.
Children
No Data