waterproof cast

I will be having ankle replacement surgery in October. Someone mentioned to me about waterproof cast. I'm wondering if I can swim laps with it. I usually swim 4000 a day. I don't expect that but would like to get back in the wasterASAP.
Parents
  • I had two broken wrists ~11ish years ago (not at the same time, thankfully), and both casts were made to be "waterproof". The inner layer was made up of this stuff, and the outer layer was typical hard cast material. That same website has (I believe) the same cover you saw. Anyway, I just dove right in, no covering or whatever, and then stood under the hair dryers for like 10 minutes after a workout to try to get some dry air inside the cast. I never found (or really attempted to find, for that matter) a better way to actually get it dry inside, as this thing was usually damp for several hours after a swim. Each cast was about 12 weeks of this, and my skin underneath was definitely not right for months. For your case with an ankle, I definitely agree with Gary about swimming with this. Not only is it going to feel like a lead weight, but remember, you also have walls you'll be tempted to push off of. A few years after the wrists, I had a knee ligament issue. Despite trying to push 1-legged, I'd still find leg #2 trying to get in on the action, and even a little pressure aggravated the injury, so I just had to stay away for a while. A break is NOT a bad thing, and as Gary suggested, it could be a great excuse to incorporate some dryland into your routine. I bet you can get someone to screw a pedal clip onto the bottom of your cast to do some in-home spinning.
  • I had two broken wrists ~11ish years ago (not at the same time, thankfully), and both casts were made to be "waterproof". The inner layer was made up of this stuff, and the outer layer was typical hard cast material. That same website has (I believe) the same cover you saw. Anyway, I just dove right in, no covering or whatever, and then stood under the hair dryers for like 10 minutes after a workout to try to get some dry air inside the cast. I never found (or really attempted to find, for that matter) a better way to actually get it dry inside, as this thing was usually damp for several hours after a swim. Each cast was about 12 weeks of this, and my skin underneath was definitely not right for months. For your case with an ankle, I definitely agree with Gary about swimming with this. Not only is it going to feel like a lead weight, but remember, you also have walls you'll be tempted to push off of. A few years after the wrists, I had a knee ligament issue. Despite trying to push 1-legged, I'd still find leg #2 trying to get in on the action, and even a little pressure aggravated the injury, so I just had to stay away for a while. A break is NOT a bad thing, and as Gary suggested, it could be a great excuse to incorporate some dryland into your routine. I bet you can get someone to screw a pedal clip onto the bottom of your cast to do some in-home spinning.
Children
No Data