'Real' butterfliers where are you? (or is it butterflyers?)

I'm pretty much only a freestyle/crawl stroke swimmer. I'll do lots of interval sets in the pool, but only swim very little of the other strokes. Often I'll just throw in an IM here and there just to break up the monotony. But I'm by no means proficient at those other strokes. Yesterday, as I rested after doing a 400 IM, the woman in the lane next to me (obviously an experienced swimmer) came to a stop and asks "Were you just swimming butterfly?" I told her I was and she responded "Hmm, ya don't see people swimming butterfly much anymore." Dan
Parents
  • Well for all your butterfliers out there: I learned to swim fly as a master a few years ago. I just got into doing 100 fly. I did a 400 IM in a meet this weekend. Any comments for working on it? My problem I believe is a weak core. I have problems getting the shoulders up and start to drop the stomach area. The problem is that I've dropped over 100 pounds and the excess skin, even when corsetted in a tight Speedo/Nike/Tyr/etc. still might be an issue. I've been working on core strength. Legs below the knees, I'm happy when they work. :) Outside of that my arms are pretty strong and I work on them a lot. The oddest thing I have though is that now my feet on the second kick are above water. I can't figure out how I'm managing that or how to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Well for all your butterfliers out there: I learned to swim fly as a master a few years ago. I just got into doing 100 fly. I did a 400 IM in a meet this weekend. Any comments for working on it? My problem I believe is a weak core. I have problems getting the shoulders up and start to drop the stomach area. The problem is that I've dropped over 100 pounds and the excess skin, even when corsetted in a tight Speedo/Nike/Tyr/etc. still might be an issue. I've been working on core strength. Legs below the knees, I'm happy when they work. :) Outside of that my arms are pretty strong and I work on them a lot. The oddest thing I have though is that now my feet on the second kick are above water. I can't figure out how I'm managing that or how to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks.
Children
No Data