'Real' butterfliers where are you? (or is it butterflyers?)

I'm pretty much only a freestyle/crawl stroke swimmer. I'll do lots of interval sets in the pool, but only swim very little of the other strokes. Often I'll just throw in an IM here and there just to break up the monotony. But I'm by no means proficient at those other strokes. Yesterday, as I rested after doing a 400 IM, the woman in the lane next to me (obviously an experienced swimmer) came to a stop and asks "Were you just swimming butterfly?" I told her I was and she responded "Hmm, ya don't see people swimming butterfly much anymore." Dan
Parents
  • Roughly 4-fold increase in triathletes over the last 15 years, all of whom swim freestyle exclusively. The butterflyers could still be there, in the same numbers, but it seems like fewer ... Wait, not sure what an increase in triathlon participation has to do with swimmers at the pool. I'm a triathlete and I'm swimming butterfly at the pool (note that I'm not a real butterfly swimmer...just a hack). I've been doing triathlon for more than 30 years. Most of the people that come into the sport don't come from swimming. But I know that triathletes also train at the pool, and triathlon doesn't require a participant to swim butterfly stroke. At any rate...there are still Masters, and other swimmers out there. But no one swimming butterfly??? Dan
  • Roughly 4-fold increase in triathletes over the last 15 years, all of whom swim freestyle exclusively. The butterflyers could still be there, in the same numbers, but it seems like fewer ... Wait, not sure what an increase in triathlon participation has to do with swimmers at the pool. I'm a triathlete and I'm swimming butterfly at the pool (note that I'm not a real butterfly swimmer...just a hack). I've been doing triathlon for more than 30 years. Most of the people that come into the sport don't come from swimming. But I know that triathletes also train at the pool, and triathlon doesn't require a participant to swim butterfly stroke. At any rate...there are still Masters, and other swimmers out there. But no one swimming butterfly??? Dan
Children
No Data