New To Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I'm an 18 year old guy who is interested in swimming competitively. I've never been on a team sport before and I've been training now for about 3 or so weeks. At first, I could barely swim 75 m without being exhausted, but now my practices average between 500-600 m per day. However, I still can't swim more than 50 m continuously and my endurance isn't too good. What kind of workouts should I be doing while swimming to improve well enough to be on a team? How many meters should I be swimming a day? Thanks for the help
Parents
  • Any tips for those of us who don't have a swim team support that others do and didn't have the basics of swimming as a kid to learn "swim meet" info? Also to reply to Nichollsvi (and anyone else who is swimming on their own), we have a forum thread here dedicated to solo swimmers like you. You might want to check it out! Here is the link: forums.usms.org/showthread.php Good luck! Thanks, Julia, for referring Nichollsvi to Solo Swimmers! I was just going to do that-- and, I thought I would mention the article you asked me to write for Swimspire! Nichollsvi, I wrote an article entitled, "Six Suggestions for the Solo Swimmer" that will be appearing at www.Swimspire.com soon. As soon as it is up on the site and Julia sends me the link, I will post it on the Solo Swimmers thread and here on this thread. Cheers! Elaine-iaK
  • Any tips for those of us who don't have a swim team support that others do and didn't have the basics of swimming as a kid to learn "swim meet" info? Also to reply to Nichollsvi (and anyone else who is swimming on their own), we have a forum thread here dedicated to solo swimmers like you. You might want to check it out! Here is the link: forums.usms.org/showthread.php Good luck! Thanks, Julia, for referring Nichollsvi to Solo Swimmers! I was just going to do that-- and, I thought I would mention the article you asked me to write for Swimspire! Nichollsvi, I wrote an article entitled, "Six Suggestions for the Solo Swimmer" that will be appearing at www.Swimspire.com soon. As soon as it is up on the site and Julia sends me the link, I will post it on the Solo Swimmers thread and here on this thread. Cheers! Elaine-iaK
Children
No Data