New To Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I'm an 18 year old guy who is interested in swimming competitively. I've never been on a team sport before and I've been training now for about 3 or so weeks. At first, I could barely swim 75 m without being exhausted, but now my practices average between 500-600 m per day. However, I still can't swim more than 50 m continuously and my endurance isn't too good. What kind of workouts should I be doing while swimming to improve well enough to be on a team? How many meters should I be swimming a day? Thanks for the help
Parents
  • Hi JAA1297, great to hear that you are dedicated to swimming and want to improve your conditioning. When you're looking for workouts, try to make sure that they are customized for your needs. Although many workout plans exist, swimming is a highly individualized sport, especially when you are just starting out and need more technique, building up conditioning as you progress. There may be aspects of your technique that you need to work on, or a level of conditioning that you need to reach, and it's hard to know whether you are doing the right thing when you use generalized workouts in the beginning. Try getting some feedback from your personal trainer on what you need to work on specifically and perhaps he or she can craft some ideas for you. Also to reply to Nichollsvi (and anyone else who is swimming on their own), we have a forum thread here dedicated to solo swimmers like you. You might want to check it out! Here is the link: forums.usms.org/showthread.php Good luck!
  • Hi JAA1297, great to hear that you are dedicated to swimming and want to improve your conditioning. When you're looking for workouts, try to make sure that they are customized for your needs. Although many workout plans exist, swimming is a highly individualized sport, especially when you are just starting out and need more technique, building up conditioning as you progress. There may be aspects of your technique that you need to work on, or a level of conditioning that you need to reach, and it's hard to know whether you are doing the right thing when you use generalized workouts in the beginning. Try getting some feedback from your personal trainer on what you need to work on specifically and perhaps he or she can craft some ideas for you. Also to reply to Nichollsvi (and anyone else who is swimming on their own), we have a forum thread here dedicated to solo swimmers like you. You might want to check it out! Here is the link: forums.usms.org/showthread.php Good luck!
Children
No Data