Getting back into Swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, I'm 30 year old male that just started to swim again with consistency and motivation. It's been 15 years since I swum competitively. I used to be very strong, competitive swimmer through early high school and then one day I just stopped to focus on my academics. One of the biggest mistakes and regrets of my life. Just completed 2 mile swim in a time I'm happy with so I just joined Masters again after a brief failed bout in 2009. I am looking to become competitive again, but I have been out of it so long I don't know how much time and commitment is required. I work full time and getting a Master's degree in the evenings. Wife and I are looking to starting a family soon too. So far I've committed an hour a day for swimming and triathlon related training. Are any of you in situations with busy life schedules that have been able to successfully carve time and effort towards competitive swimming? Any tips for someone trying to get back into it after a long time? Thanks
Parents
  • I was in your situation when I came back to masters swimming several years ago. I found that an hour a day first thing in the morning worked best for me. My life was too hectic after work and the desire just wasn't there. The early mornings are tough. The hardest part is getting out of bed, #2 is jumping in the water and finally comes the workout itself. If you can become accustomed to it, it becomes a lifestyle. I've found that 3 days a week works for maintenance but usually it takes a little more to get in peak racing shape. If you can find a friend or two to workout with it definitely helps to get you out of bed (you know they'll be waiting for you). Good Luck.
  • I was in your situation when I came back to masters swimming several years ago. I found that an hour a day first thing in the morning worked best for me. My life was too hectic after work and the desire just wasn't there. The early mornings are tough. The hardest part is getting out of bed, #2 is jumping in the water and finally comes the workout itself. If you can become accustomed to it, it becomes a lifestyle. I've found that 3 days a week works for maintenance but usually it takes a little more to get in peak racing shape. If you can find a friend or two to workout with it definitely helps to get you out of bed (you know they'll be waiting for you). Good Luck.
Children
No Data