Breaststroke and Free Style

Former Member
Former Member
Hi All. I recently started swimming with a masters team approximately 3 weeks ago. After the first few practices my coach informed me that I am a natural at swimming the breaststroke. However when I attempt to swim free style I feel like I am sinking/drowning. Does anyone else have this problem? If so what suggestions would you make to correct/lower the learning curve.
Parents
  • Definitely work with your coach to improve your crawl I would second Allen's opinion here, you should work with your coach on improving your stroke. I would suggest not limiting your focus to one particular aspect of the stroke - such as head position - in trying to improve. Rather, it will be an overall combination of a neutral head position, stable kick, strong core, good body rotation, comfort with breathing by turning the body to the side rather than twisting the neck, and other elements that will need to be worked on consistently. Good luck!
  • Definitely work with your coach to improve your crawl I would second Allen's opinion here, you should work with your coach on improving your stroke. I would suggest not limiting your focus to one particular aspect of the stroke - such as head position - in trying to improve. Rather, it will be an overall combination of a neutral head position, stable kick, strong core, good body rotation, comfort with breathing by turning the body to the side rather than twisting the neck, and other elements that will need to be worked on consistently. Good luck!
Children
No Data