Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
Parents
  • For me, "it's only masters" has resonance. I work hard and try to prepare well, and some would see my commitment as pretty intense, but I only race because I enjoy it and it is a distant third on the list of priorities after family and work. The idea of doping is a compete antithesis to my concept of masters swimming, which for me is not only about fun but about personal achievement. Quite frankly, if someone else wants to put their health at risk, that's their look out, and if I don't win a medal but swim well, it doesn't really matter to me anyway. +1 A great statement, the only problem I have with the phrase "it's only masters" is that it seems to denigrate those who expend considerable time, emotional and physical energy, and even money on the sport. And of course there are many extremely impressive masters swimmers, and I certainly wouldn't want to disrespect their accomplishments. But I don't think that's the intent of most when they say it, it is just a way to keep some perspective and keep it fun. And yes, introducing drug testing would take some of the fun out of it for me. Others can take it just as seriously as they want, but when they force me to take it just as seriously, it becomes a shade less enjoyable . And I don't gain the "upside" of knowing that my competitors might get caught because I don't really care if they are doping or not.
  • For me, "it's only masters" has resonance. I work hard and try to prepare well, and some would see my commitment as pretty intense, but I only race because I enjoy it and it is a distant third on the list of priorities after family and work. The idea of doping is a compete antithesis to my concept of masters swimming, which for me is not only about fun but about personal achievement. Quite frankly, if someone else wants to put their health at risk, that's their look out, and if I don't win a medal but swim well, it doesn't really matter to me anyway. +1 A great statement, the only problem I have with the phrase "it's only masters" is that it seems to denigrate those who expend considerable time, emotional and physical energy, and even money on the sport. And of course there are many extremely impressive masters swimmers, and I certainly wouldn't want to disrespect their accomplishments. But I don't think that's the intent of most when they say it, it is just a way to keep some perspective and keep it fun. And yes, introducing drug testing would take some of the fun out of it for me. Others can take it just as seriously as they want, but when they force me to take it just as seriously, it becomes a shade less enjoyable . And I don't gain the "upside" of knowing that my competitors might get caught because I don't really care if they are doping or not.
Children
No Data