Doping among masters athletes

Former Member
Former Member
At least this isn't a problem in USMS, right? velonews.competitor.com/.../totally-amateur_408457
Parents
  • This idea of PED use is distressing … a while back one of our great 70+ year old sprinters stated that 2 masters swimmers admitted to him of taking PED’s to “level the playing field” and then within this thread another discussed admitted PED use of USMS swimmers on a PED site. I spent a couple of hours sweeping thru those sites the other day and recognized 2 names as as probable usms swimmers … distressing With the inability of the world sports authorities to prevent this I doubt we would make a much dent in our problem. It might make us feel better if we did something, maybe a “position” statement in relationship to this issue or even random testing. Our problem is how do we convince current PED users not to use. They are convinced its improving there lives and certainly improving times ( me i’d just like to recover from day to day like the old days). They can ignore the health risks that will come further down the road, they feel good now ! Myself I actually enjoy the struggle, despite my complaining. I love swimming and I will remain a “Natural” swimmer. ( a term i’m borrowing from weight lifters who don’t use ) The previous thread was the discussion that ensued after this SFF Tip forums.usms.org/showthread.php Where Rich Rich Abrahams Commented: "If you're diagnosed with Low T and take testosterone or HGH or any substance on WDAs list and continue to compete, you're probably cheating unless you can get a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUEs)." Andy, I'm glad you brought this up. I know two masters swimmers (both world record holders) who take testosterone. Their justification is that their natural level is low and they need it to "level the playing field." I have told them I strongly disagree. Take it if you want, but then don't compete. It is cheating. Masters Track and Field tests, especially those setting records. I wish Masters Swimming would as well. forums.usms.org/showthread.php Then we had in interesting discussion on Doping that transformed into USRPT forums.usms.org/showthread.php Personally, I think the majority of Masters are clean and swim fair.
  • This idea of PED use is distressing … a while back one of our great 70+ year old sprinters stated that 2 masters swimmers admitted to him of taking PED’s to “level the playing field” and then within this thread another discussed admitted PED use of USMS swimmers on a PED site. I spent a couple of hours sweeping thru those sites the other day and recognized 2 names as as probable usms swimmers … distressing With the inability of the world sports authorities to prevent this I doubt we would make a much dent in our problem. It might make us feel better if we did something, maybe a “position” statement in relationship to this issue or even random testing. Our problem is how do we convince current PED users not to use. They are convinced its improving there lives and certainly improving times ( me i’d just like to recover from day to day like the old days). They can ignore the health risks that will come further down the road, they feel good now ! Myself I actually enjoy the struggle, despite my complaining. I love swimming and I will remain a “Natural” swimmer. ( a term i’m borrowing from weight lifters who don’t use ) The previous thread was the discussion that ensued after this SFF Tip forums.usms.org/showthread.php Where Rich Rich Abrahams Commented: "If you're diagnosed with Low T and take testosterone or HGH or any substance on WDAs list and continue to compete, you're probably cheating unless you can get a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUEs)." Andy, I'm glad you brought this up. I know two masters swimmers (both world record holders) who take testosterone. Their justification is that their natural level is low and they need it to "level the playing field." I have told them I strongly disagree. Take it if you want, but then don't compete. It is cheating. Masters Track and Field tests, especially those setting records. I wish Masters Swimming would as well. forums.usms.org/showthread.php Then we had in interesting discussion on Doping that transformed into USRPT forums.usms.org/showthread.php Personally, I think the majority of Masters are clean and swim fair.
Children
No Data