new to swimming regularly - 50 yard freestyle

I just started a "class" where I am working with an instructor in improving my swimming technique. I am 60 years old and newly retired and I am now taking the time to exercise. I am out of shape and overweight, but love swimming and am looking forward to becoming a stronger swimmer to improve my health and all the benefits that come with it. So, today, I told my instructor I wanted to see how fast (um, slow) it would take me to swim 50 yard freestyle to get a baseline on swimming time. It took me 76 seconds (1 min 16 seconds). I looked up the record time for women age 60-64 and it was right under 30 seconds - so I am in awe of someone can swim that fast. It's not my goal necessarily to compete or go faster as it is to be a better, more efficient swimmer, so learning the basics and working on certain areas is where I am. However, I am wondering how some of you started and where you are now compared to when you started - just to hear people's stories, especially those of you who are a little older. I look forward to hearing from others or directing me to a place where I can read about these stories! Cathy
Parents
  • I'm 68, been swimming laps on and off for over 30 years as cross-training because I've been primarily a runner. I never timed myself swimming until January after my kids bought me a swim watch for Xmas. Being an endurance type, I never cared what my short distance times were. Mostly I record times for 1000 yards or more at 2.5 to 3 minutes per 100yd. Can I go faster? Yes, I can do just under 1 minute for 50yd or 26-27 sec. for 25yd, but I would much rather do a faster mile. In the swimming world 1650yd (close to 1500 meters) is a benchmark. I did time a couple of those around 42 minutes which is rather slow even for my age.
  • I'm 68, been swimming laps on and off for over 30 years as cross-training because I've been primarily a runner. I never timed myself swimming until January after my kids bought me a swim watch for Xmas. Being an endurance type, I never cared what my short distance times were. Mostly I record times for 1000 yards or more at 2.5 to 3 minutes per 100yd. Can I go faster? Yes, I can do just under 1 minute for 50yd or 26-27 sec. for 25yd, but I would much rather do a faster mile. In the swimming world 1650yd (close to 1500 meters) is a benchmark. I did time a couple of those around 42 minutes which is rather slow even for my age.
Children
No Data