new to swimming regularly - 50 yard freestyle

I just started a "class" where I am working with an instructor in improving my swimming technique. I am 60 years old and newly retired and I am now taking the time to exercise. I am out of shape and overweight, but love swimming and am looking forward to becoming a stronger swimmer to improve my health and all the benefits that come with it. So, today, I told my instructor I wanted to see how fast (um, slow) it would take me to swim 50 yard freestyle to get a baseline on swimming time. It took me 76 seconds (1 min 16 seconds). I looked up the record time for women age 60-64 and it was right under 30 seconds - so I am in awe of someone can swim that fast. It's not my goal necessarily to compete or go faster as it is to be a better, more efficient swimmer, so learning the basics and working on certain areas is where I am. However, I am wondering how some of you started and where you are now compared to when you started - just to hear people's stories, especially those of you who are a little older. I look forward to hearing from others or directing me to a place where I can read about these stories! Cathy
Parents
  • Keep going. I recently taught a iran/Iraq war vet how to swim. To start with, he could swim as far as he could hold his breath. After working with him every week to learn how to breathe on the side and pull with a flat hand to push the water back & him forward , he progressed to 50 -75- 100 -150 and after 6 months--- he swam 500 yards nonstop. he is 6ft. 2 and 260 lbs. with war injuries to his shoulder and head. I felt really good helping him reach his goals and we are good friends .
  • Keep going. I recently taught a iran/Iraq war vet how to swim. To start with, he could swim as far as he could hold his breath. After working with him every week to learn how to breathe on the side and pull with a flat hand to push the water back & him forward , he progressed to 50 -75- 100 -150 and after 6 months--- he swam 500 yards nonstop. he is 6ft. 2 and 260 lbs. with war injuries to his shoulder and head. I felt really good helping him reach his goals and we are good friends .
Children
No Data