swim training for 5 yr old in Boston

Former Member
Former Member
Hi folks, Please advise on training my 5 yr old son. He loves swimming and perhaps diving but has not been introduced to any training yet. Please advise for good clubs/training centers in Boston (MA) area and suggestions about making most of his water enthusiasm. thank you
  • There are tons of teams in the area and some pretty decent. It all depends on where you are willing to drive. For the 8 & Under group, you want to find a team that puts the focus on fun and skills. Your child will probably enjoy it best if the practice schedule doesn't create tension. My kid wants to join a team and while the team at *MY* club is more well rounded, it means him traveling 1/2 an hour to practice then another 1/2 hour home and practices are right at 5:30, when we typically eat dinner. There's a perfectly decent club to get started with 5 minutes from our house and practice is for 45 minutes at 4:30, meaning less time in the car, normal dinner, normal bed time = happier kid. If they fall in love with it, they can switch teams. Both North Shore Y and South Shore Y have good teams but I don't know what their current coaching philosophy is.
  • You should look at sites for USA Swimming, any YMCAs nearby to you, or any community center with a pool. Any of those places should be able to help answer questions about how to get him/her started.