Plodders and wannabes?

Dave Sheinin wrote an interesting article about Lilly King in today's Washington Post, mentioning that she used to swim with Masters swimmers in the early morning while she was in high school. As an aside, he characterized Masters swimmers as middle-aged "plodders and wannabe," which seems pretty harsh for a bunch of hard-working, fit adults who are seeking to improve as they age. True, most Masters swimmers, including myself, are not Olympians or even close, though of course there are some former Olympians who participate. But I've yet to meet a plodder or wannabe at a Masters practice or meet. What I see people is of all ages at practices and meets who are improving and laying down some pretty amazing performances, often overcoming major obstacles in the process. Sure, it would be amazing to win the Olympics with the swagger and speed of Lilly King (yes, I am a fan), but if there is anything I "wannabe" in swimming, it is to one day be like those swimmers you see at meets, looking so healthy and happy in their sixties and beyond, having a great time as they swim so beautifully and fast. :bow: Would USMS please invite Mr. Sheinin to a practice or meet so he can see for himself?
Parents Reply Children
No Data