Transgender Swimmer & Compitition

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, I got into swimming late in 2004 and swam on and off since then. in 2012 i was swimming like 20 - 25 hours a week and competed for my team on the mens side. My last race was in july of 2012, the same time that I started with Hormone Replacement Therapy to begin my physical transformation. Im just getting back into swimming and can tell I'm very out of shape and have a long way to go before I start considering competing now as a woman which brings me to my main question. I would like to know what peoples thoughts are on it, because the last thing I want is for people to yell at me at a meet, or to call me a cheater, or to make a scene. The men can weigh in their thoughts, but mainly looking for the responses from the women as I will be swimming with them, and not the guys. Also, please be respectful. Thank you, Cassie
Parents
  • Some women will object to your competing, particularly if you beat them. They are more likely to grumble than to confront you, but they will wonder why they have to race a "man." You will need to be ready either to ignore their grumbling or to meet their objections, such as by explaining to them why the rules allow you to compete and (on a related note) why you don't actually have an unfair advantage by having gone through puberty as a man. I know that it's not fair to demand that you be an ambassador every time you just go out to do something fun, but I don't think you can pretend it won't happen. . There will be petty people everywhere, but I don't think this statement is fair. If a person is truly transitioning, it will be obvious and most won't even know that the person went from male to female (or vice versa) without being told. I would have no issue racing or practicing with her.
  • Some women will object to your competing, particularly if you beat them. They are more likely to grumble than to confront you, but they will wonder why they have to race a "man." You will need to be ready either to ignore their grumbling or to meet their objections, such as by explaining to them why the rules allow you to compete and (on a related note) why you don't actually have an unfair advantage by having gone through puberty as a man. I know that it's not fair to demand that you be an ambassador every time you just go out to do something fun, but I don't think you can pretend it won't happen. . There will be petty people everywhere, but I don't think this statement is fair. If a person is truly transitioning, it will be obvious and most won't even know that the person went from male to female (or vice versa) without being told. I would have no issue racing or practicing with her.
Children
No Data