Transgender Swimmer & Compitition

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, I got into swimming late in 2004 and swam on and off since then. in 2012 i was swimming like 20 - 25 hours a week and competed for my team on the mens side. My last race was in july of 2012, the same time that I started with Hormone Replacement Therapy to begin my physical transformation. Im just getting back into swimming and can tell I'm very out of shape and have a long way to go before I start considering competing now as a woman which brings me to my main question. I would like to know what peoples thoughts are on it, because the last thing I want is for people to yell at me at a meet, or to call me a cheater, or to make a scene. The men can weigh in their thoughts, but mainly looking for the responses from the women as I will be swimming with them, and not the guys. Also, please be respectful. Thank you, Cassie
Parents
  • The ambience at local meets (Oregon) and National meets varies between hyper and intense and laid back and social, depending on the swimmer. There is a lot of team spirit but also an openness and interest in getting to know the swimmers on other teams. When you compete you will be there with the team mates you have been training with, and the friends you make on that team are part of your support system at meets, as they are for any swimmer. I am sorry you have to inquire about your potential reception, it's just still a reality now. My daughter transitioned several years ago and quickly found her supportive community within her interests, the gaming community. She's been outspoken about who she is and what responses she has received, both positive and negative. Every time she shares a negative experience, she gives people an opportunity to step up and disavow what was said or done. Please continue to share here. We are your community. Carol Stark
  • The ambience at local meets (Oregon) and National meets varies between hyper and intense and laid back and social, depending on the swimmer. There is a lot of team spirit but also an openness and interest in getting to know the swimmers on other teams. When you compete you will be there with the team mates you have been training with, and the friends you make on that team are part of your support system at meets, as they are for any swimmer. I am sorry you have to inquire about your potential reception, it's just still a reality now. My daughter transitioned several years ago and quickly found her supportive community within her interests, the gaming community. She's been outspoken about who she is and what responses she has received, both positive and negative. Every time she shares a negative experience, she gives people an opportunity to step up and disavow what was said or done. Please continue to share here. We are your community. Carol Stark
Children
No Data