Transgender Swimmer & Compitition

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, I got into swimming late in 2004 and swam on and off since then. in 2012 i was swimming like 20 - 25 hours a week and competed for my team on the mens side. My last race was in july of 2012, the same time that I started with Hormone Replacement Therapy to begin my physical transformation. Im just getting back into swimming and can tell I'm very out of shape and have a long way to go before I start considering competing now as a woman which brings me to my main question. I would like to know what peoples thoughts are on it, because the last thing I want is for people to yell at me at a meet, or to call me a cheater, or to make a scene. The men can weigh in their thoughts, but mainly looking for the responses from the women as I will be swimming with them, and not the guys. Also, please be respectful. Thank you, Cassie
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thank you for your responses. Very helpful, and feeling less nervous about starting to compete in 4-5 months. I also yet have to go to college and would like to be able to swim there if possible and if I can swim anywhere near what I did before, I will be able to and would love to have that experience to remember for the rest of my life. When all the layers are stripped away, all I really want is to swim, race, and beat my own personal times. Sure winning is fun, but I just want to try to beat my PR's and swim agaist the clock, even if meant I would have to get DQ'd in every race, I would still do it. Based on what I have looked up, for college sports, I just need to be on hormones for 2 years minum and be legally female, (i.e docs changed). and when I look for masters, it appears that they follow the IOC and it states that I would have to have the lower surgery (SRS / GRS) a minimum of 2 years prior to the date of competition. This surgery is planned but cost make it a lengthy process. On my team, many knew me before transition and they have welcomed me back as the new me, but some that are new to the team, dont know unless I or someone else tells them so Im not very masculine at all.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thank you for your responses. Very helpful, and feeling less nervous about starting to compete in 4-5 months. I also yet have to go to college and would like to be able to swim there if possible and if I can swim anywhere near what I did before, I will be able to and would love to have that experience to remember for the rest of my life. When all the layers are stripped away, all I really want is to swim, race, and beat my own personal times. Sure winning is fun, but I just want to try to beat my PR's and swim agaist the clock, even if meant I would have to get DQ'd in every race, I would still do it. Based on what I have looked up, for college sports, I just need to be on hormones for 2 years minum and be legally female, (i.e docs changed). and when I look for masters, it appears that they follow the IOC and it states that I would have to have the lower surgery (SRS / GRS) a minimum of 2 years prior to the date of competition. This surgery is planned but cost make it a lengthy process. On my team, many knew me before transition and they have welcomed me back as the new me, but some that are new to the team, dont know unless I or someone else tells them so Im not very masculine at all.
Children
No Data