What should threshold/CSS pace *feel* like?

It seems as though there are a few methods out there to attempt to determine what your anaerobic/aerobic divider zone is for targeting training for distance events. I'm having a bit of trouble determining on my own if I am actually swimming at this "sweet spot". I've tried different methods of calculating...a 30minute swim, the 400/200 test, and the 3x300 on 1:00 rest. Ultimately, they all produce a different threshold pace and the difference of 4 seconds per hundred definitely produces a different feel on a set such as 16x100 hold T-pace on 10s rest. I'm aiming for goal events between 1000y (Pool) and 2.5 miles (open water), so it makes a difference to go hard enough that I can improve but not so hard I'm dragging every day out of the pool. What is threshold or CSS pace really supposed to feel like? Is there one method better than another for estimating your threshold pace? Does it seem reasonable that your threshold pace may actually vary based on the day, so there's a particular feel you need to be going for rather than a time?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Best is T-3000 with max effort , 10x200 is also reasonably good , if rest doesnt exceed 10-15 sec. But effort should be max especially at last few 200s. Acidosis doesnt let you go faster then TH. As for feeling - You should be tired upon completion , but have ability for some good sprints and/or recovery swimming, since you is about to consume glycogen at 200s , but not fats and phosphocreatine. TH test should be performed on a day after rest or recovery session,preferably at the same day of the week. To do every 3-4 weeks.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Best is T-3000 with max effort , 10x200 is also reasonably good , if rest doesnt exceed 10-15 sec. But effort should be max especially at last few 200s. Acidosis doesnt let you go faster then TH. As for feeling - You should be tired upon completion , but have ability for some good sprints and/or recovery swimming, since you is about to consume glycogen at 200s , but not fats and phosphocreatine. TH test should be performed on a day after rest or recovery session,preferably at the same day of the week. To do every 3-4 weeks.
Children
No Data