How do you use challenges to motivate you?

Hello fellow swimmers! I'm curious to know how you use challenges that arise in your training or in your life to help motivate you along your swimming journey. These could be challenges that you have faced in life, or difficulties arising from your daily training conditions (water temps, sharing the pool with many different swimmers, pool closures, etc). I know that most of us have a story to tell here, so I'm looking forward to hearing yours if you are willing to share!
Parents
  • This: "Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations." ~ Karla Peterson (I'm guessing that quote sounds familiar to you, since you posted my article with that quote on Swimspire.com: www.swimspire.com/.../ ) Since I wrote that article two years ago, I have strengthened my resolve even more to not let my limitations define and defeat me. I have continued to collect uncommon connective tissue problems along the way (to add to the "uncommon" thoracic outlet syndrome, "uncommon" tarsal tunnel syndrome, and three "uncommon" spontaneous dislocations at joints that don't normally dislocate without associated trauma). In December of 2014, I had surgery for "uncommon" snapping hip syndrome, and while in Europe last month, I developed an acute case of tendinitis calcarea (calcific tendinitis). Although the condition itself isn't uncommon, my doctor here at home took a look at the x-rays and declared, "I have never seen anything like it. Strange!" :rolleyes: All I could say in response was, "I am my father's daughter..." Yes, I inherited the wrong set of genes. I'm convinced without a shadow of a doubt that if I didn't swim, I would be walking with a cane (or worse) and look like hell. Instead, (as I posted on the "Swim Happy" thread) a couple of ladies from water aerobics class told me that another lady was watching me do yoga on deck after my swim workout and said, "I've seen that young girl at the pool before. She must be visiting her GRANDparents this summer." Needless to say, it made my day! At 54 (55 in January), I'll take being referred to as a "young girl"! I think it's swimming that keeps me looking that way. None of my past or current physical issues were caused by swimming, and swimming has always been the recommended "prescription." That enough is motivating me to overcome my physical challenges and stay healthy. Dory motto: "Keep on swimming! Just keep on swimming!!" Physical issues aside, I love swimming. Every morning I wake up, and I can't wait to get to the pool! Travel (and lack of access to a pool or clean body of water) is the only thing that prevents me from swimming. Even after my hip surgery, I was only dry until the stitches came out and the doctor gave me approval to get wet. I came straight home and swam with a pull buoy. I also love the swimming community! I'm with Waves (above) on his point. Even when I was unable to compete, I loved going to the meet and timing races. It's such a motivating and uplifting atmosphere being at a Masters meet! Physical issues may preclude me from (safely) training at the intensity I did a few years ago-- and, my race times have suffered because of it-- but, I will always believe in my dreams rather than live by my limitations.
  • This: "Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations." ~ Karla Peterson (I'm guessing that quote sounds familiar to you, since you posted my article with that quote on Swimspire.com: www.swimspire.com/.../ ) Since I wrote that article two years ago, I have strengthened my resolve even more to not let my limitations define and defeat me. I have continued to collect uncommon connective tissue problems along the way (to add to the "uncommon" thoracic outlet syndrome, "uncommon" tarsal tunnel syndrome, and three "uncommon" spontaneous dislocations at joints that don't normally dislocate without associated trauma). In December of 2014, I had surgery for "uncommon" snapping hip syndrome, and while in Europe last month, I developed an acute case of tendinitis calcarea (calcific tendinitis). Although the condition itself isn't uncommon, my doctor here at home took a look at the x-rays and declared, "I have never seen anything like it. Strange!" :rolleyes: All I could say in response was, "I am my father's daughter..." Yes, I inherited the wrong set of genes. I'm convinced without a shadow of a doubt that if I didn't swim, I would be walking with a cane (or worse) and look like hell. Instead, (as I posted on the "Swim Happy" thread) a couple of ladies from water aerobics class told me that another lady was watching me do yoga on deck after my swim workout and said, "I've seen that young girl at the pool before. She must be visiting her GRANDparents this summer." Needless to say, it made my day! At 54 (55 in January), I'll take being referred to as a "young girl"! I think it's swimming that keeps me looking that way. None of my past or current physical issues were caused by swimming, and swimming has always been the recommended "prescription." That enough is motivating me to overcome my physical challenges and stay healthy. Dory motto: "Keep on swimming! Just keep on swimming!!" Physical issues aside, I love swimming. Every morning I wake up, and I can't wait to get to the pool! Travel (and lack of access to a pool or clean body of water) is the only thing that prevents me from swimming. Even after my hip surgery, I was only dry until the stitches came out and the doctor gave me approval to get wet. I came straight home and swam with a pull buoy. I also love the swimming community! I'm with Waves (above) on his point. Even when I was unable to compete, I loved going to the meet and timing races. It's such a motivating and uplifting atmosphere being at a Masters meet! Physical issues may preclude me from (safely) training at the intensity I did a few years ago-- and, my race times have suffered because of it-- but, I will always believe in my dreams rather than live by my limitations.
Children
No Data