Freestyle arm stroke

I've been swimming for a long time - undefeated HS team in 1962. The older I get the more I think about stuff that used to be automatic, like freestyle arm stroke. I mainly do what I think is the currently popular technique with my fingers pointing to the bottom of the pool and my hand moving by my side and deep, but I can also do a version with fingers pointing toward the side of the pool and hand following the middle of my chest and stomach. I'd appreciate any comments on which is better. Also I get some shoulder pain and wonder which is easier on the shoulders. TIA, Tom
Parents
  • Hi All, I've been working on keeping my elbow right at the surface and making the straightest possible pull, pushing water right to the end. I seem to be going just as fast and getting less tired, which is great. Seems the idea that, even if the deeper catch is more powerful, its cancelled out by the greater resistance, is true for me. And, it feels better on the shoulders.
  • Hi All, I've been working on keeping my elbow right at the surface and making the straightest possible pull, pushing water right to the end. I seem to be going just as fast and getting less tired, which is great. Seems the idea that, even if the deeper catch is more powerful, its cancelled out by the greater resistance, is true for me. And, it feels better on the shoulders.
Children
No Data