Freestyle arm stroke

I've been swimming for a long time - undefeated HS team in 1962. The older I get the more I think about stuff that used to be automatic, like freestyle arm stroke. I mainly do what I think is the currently popular technique with my fingers pointing to the bottom of the pool and my hand moving by my side and deep, but I can also do a version with fingers pointing toward the side of the pool and hand following the middle of my chest and stomach. I'd appreciate any comments on which is better. Also I get some shoulder pain and wonder which is easier on the shoulders. TIA, Tom
Parents
  • Thanks again for all the replies. It's not just straight pull vs scull - depending how I bend the elbow and rotate the shoulder, I can change the path of the hand continuously from pointing down to pointing sidewise and close to my center. Yes, I bend the elbow more for longer distance. I have a coach - he teaches the high elbow, fingers pointing down stroke. We haven't discussed the shoulder injury factor, just speed, so that's something to do. The straight, high elbow pull does actually feel like it's making less strain and that's what I'm hearing. I know I didn't really describe my problem. Actually I'm just starting to look into this. The pain is in my upper arm so I think it's rotator cuff related. I'm going to see a physical therapist so should then have a much better idea. The video is good. I was intrigued by the "hybrid freestyle". I'd noticed some asymmetry by Phelps et al but couldn't really say exactly what it was till now. I think I do a bit of that too.
  • Thanks again for all the replies. It's not just straight pull vs scull - depending how I bend the elbow and rotate the shoulder, I can change the path of the hand continuously from pointing down to pointing sidewise and close to my center. Yes, I bend the elbow more for longer distance. I have a coach - he teaches the high elbow, fingers pointing down stroke. We haven't discussed the shoulder injury factor, just speed, so that's something to do. The straight, high elbow pull does actually feel like it's making less strain and that's what I'm hearing. I know I didn't really describe my problem. Actually I'm just starting to look into this. The pain is in my upper arm so I think it's rotator cuff related. I'm going to see a physical therapist so should then have a much better idea. The video is good. I was intrigued by the "hybrid freestyle". I'd noticed some asymmetry by Phelps et al but couldn't really say exactly what it was till now. I think I do a bit of that too.
Children
No Data