Freestyle arm stroke

I've been swimming for a long time - undefeated HS team in 1962. The older I get the more I think about stuff that used to be automatic, like freestyle arm stroke. I mainly do what I think is the currently popular technique with my fingers pointing to the bottom of the pool and my hand moving by my side and deep, but I can also do a version with fingers pointing toward the side of the pool and hand following the middle of my chest and stomach. I'd appreciate any comments on which is better. Also I get some shoulder pain and wonder which is easier on the shoulders. TIA, Tom
Parents
  • TomK3, I'm a late 40s freestyle sprinter. 200 is the farthest I race. I've played with many variations of what you're asking and my feeling is that it's individual. I went to Gary Hall's Race Club a few years ago and he helped me immensely but over time, I've kind of created my own stroke I guess and as of now (knock wood), I don't get too much shoulder trouble. Generally speaking, the shorter the distance, the straighter the elbow (underwater) and the deeper the hands (pointed down). but I can't really sustain that stroke (b/c of the pressure) for longer than a 50. the longer the distance, the more the elbow bends. I still think my fingers are pointed down or mostly down regardless of the distance. THere's obviously a lot more that goes into it like rotation, extension, recovery.
  • TomK3, I'm a late 40s freestyle sprinter. 200 is the farthest I race. I've played with many variations of what you're asking and my feeling is that it's individual. I went to Gary Hall's Race Club a few years ago and he helped me immensely but over time, I've kind of created my own stroke I guess and as of now (knock wood), I don't get too much shoulder trouble. Generally speaking, the shorter the distance, the straighter the elbow (underwater) and the deeper the hands (pointed down). but I can't really sustain that stroke (b/c of the pressure) for longer than a 50. the longer the distance, the more the elbow bends. I still think my fingers are pointed down or mostly down regardless of the distance. THere's obviously a lot more that goes into it like rotation, extension, recovery.
Children
No Data