Freestyle arm stroke

I've been swimming for a long time - undefeated HS team in 1962. The older I get the more I think about stuff that used to be automatic, like freestyle arm stroke. I mainly do what I think is the currently popular technique with my fingers pointing to the bottom of the pool and my hand moving by my side and deep, but I can also do a version with fingers pointing toward the side of the pool and hand following the middle of my chest and stomach. I'd appreciate any comments on which is better. Also I get some shoulder pain and wonder which is easier on the shoulders. TIA, Tom
Parents
  • Hi Elaine! I wish it were that simple...! Swimming is such an individualized sport, and there are so many variants, it would be very difficult to pinpoint one particular technique and declare that technique to be the perfect stroke. Swimmers at the elite level have had success with many different forms of technique. Their muscles and joints may respond differently to the stroke than those of a swimmer who is not putting in the same amount or intensity of training. Also, many of the elite-level swimmers are by no means injury free! I will say that there are several main principles to focus on in order to reduce the chance of injury and stay with the sport for a long time: achieving symmetry and balance between both sides of the body, focusing on distance per stroke (without sacrificing momentum or speed), and developing the ability to adapt your stroke according to the distance and intensity you are swimming (for example sprinters may have less distance per stroke but a higher stroke rate than distance swimmers who need to cover a lot of ground for the energy they are expending). There is a good video that Gary Hall produced featuring several different techniques in freestyle that may also be helpful. I liked the breakdown and the emphasis on the fact that there are varieties of strokes out there: www.youtube.com/watch Hope this provides you with some guidance!
  • Hi Elaine! I wish it were that simple...! Swimming is such an individualized sport, and there are so many variants, it would be very difficult to pinpoint one particular technique and declare that technique to be the perfect stroke. Swimmers at the elite level have had success with many different forms of technique. Their muscles and joints may respond differently to the stroke than those of a swimmer who is not putting in the same amount or intensity of training. Also, many of the elite-level swimmers are by no means injury free! I will say that there are several main principles to focus on in order to reduce the chance of injury and stay with the sport for a long time: achieving symmetry and balance between both sides of the body, focusing on distance per stroke (without sacrificing momentum or speed), and developing the ability to adapt your stroke according to the distance and intensity you are swimming (for example sprinters may have less distance per stroke but a higher stroke rate than distance swimmers who need to cover a lot of ground for the energy they are expending). There is a good video that Gary Hall produced featuring several different techniques in freestyle that may also be helpful. I liked the breakdown and the emphasis on the fact that there are varieties of strokes out there: www.youtube.com/watch Hope this provides you with some guidance!
Children
No Data