Freestyle arm stroke

I've been swimming for a long time - undefeated HS team in 1962. The older I get the more I think about stuff that used to be automatic, like freestyle arm stroke. I mainly do what I think is the currently popular technique with my fingers pointing to the bottom of the pool and my hand moving by my side and deep, but I can also do a version with fingers pointing toward the side of the pool and hand following the middle of my chest and stomach. I'd appreciate any comments on which is better. Also I get some shoulder pain and wonder which is easier on the shoulders. TIA, Tom
Parents
  • I also was the "s pull"stroke of free for a long time. if you watch the swim trials ,you see them reaching forward and NOT rotating so that the thumb goes in first but, rather a flat hand to push down and then straight back.
  • I also was the "s pull"stroke of free for a long time. if you watch the swim trials ,you see them reaching forward and NOT rotating so that the thumb goes in first but, rather a flat hand to push down and then straight back.
Children
No Data