Freestyle arm stroke

I've been swimming for a long time - undefeated HS team in 1962. The older I get the more I think about stuff that used to be automatic, like freestyle arm stroke. I mainly do what I think is the currently popular technique with my fingers pointing to the bottom of the pool and my hand moving by my side and deep, but I can also do a version with fingers pointing toward the side of the pool and hand following the middle of my chest and stomach. I'd appreciate any comments on which is better. Also I get some shoulder pain and wonder which is easier on the shoulders. TIA, Tom
Parents
  • TomK3, this is still a subject of debate amongst coaches. Gary Hall, Sr. has a great commentary on the Hopkins study mentioned above, saying: "Although the work of Dr. Mittal is interesting, it is unfortunate that we still don't know exactly what was studied. Nor are his terms of deep pull and s-shaped pull clear, according to the illustrations provided. At the elite level of swimming today, the wide excursion of the hand in the sagittal plane through the underwater pull (the s pattern), commonly seen and advocated during the Spitz/Counsilman era, is virtually non-existant. The question today is not one of deep pull vs S shaped pull, but rather deep pull vs high elbow pull (Early Vertical forearm), as in both cases the hand usually stays outside of the body line and moves in a path fairly straight backward. It seems that with these studies, Dr. Mittal and others evaluated the various pulling patterns in terms of lift and propulsive drag forces that each would generate. However, a swimmers speed is the net result of the propulsive force generated less the frontal drag forces imposed. What is not pointed out is that different pulling mechanisms result in significantly different frontal drag forces. While the deep pull should logically create more propulsive power (based on biomechanical advantage of the shoulder in the flexed position) frontal drag forces are so significant to the net body speed in swimming that a less powerful pulling position (EVF) can actually result in a greater speed of the swimmer by creating less drag. As we say at The Race Club, in swimming reducing frontal drag trumps propulsive power." The other troubling issue for you is your shoulder pain, although you do not provide sufficient information to assess the problem. Could be from the recovery, could be from the pull, could be due to a lack of balance between the pull and the kick. We don't know because we can't see your stroke. My suggestion is that you consult with a stroke coach to see what you are doing incorrectly. Alternatively you can post a video here on the forum. I'm sure many members of the forum would be happy to critique your stroke.
  • TomK3, this is still a subject of debate amongst coaches. Gary Hall, Sr. has a great commentary on the Hopkins study mentioned above, saying: "Although the work of Dr. Mittal is interesting, it is unfortunate that we still don't know exactly what was studied. Nor are his terms of deep pull and s-shaped pull clear, according to the illustrations provided. At the elite level of swimming today, the wide excursion of the hand in the sagittal plane through the underwater pull (the s pattern), commonly seen and advocated during the Spitz/Counsilman era, is virtually non-existant. The question today is not one of deep pull vs S shaped pull, but rather deep pull vs high elbow pull (Early Vertical forearm), as in both cases the hand usually stays outside of the body line and moves in a path fairly straight backward. It seems that with these studies, Dr. Mittal and others evaluated the various pulling patterns in terms of lift and propulsive drag forces that each would generate. However, a swimmers speed is the net result of the propulsive force generated less the frontal drag forces imposed. What is not pointed out is that different pulling mechanisms result in significantly different frontal drag forces. While the deep pull should logically create more propulsive power (based on biomechanical advantage of the shoulder in the flexed position) frontal drag forces are so significant to the net body speed in swimming that a less powerful pulling position (EVF) can actually result in a greater speed of the swimmer by creating less drag. As we say at The Race Club, in swimming reducing frontal drag trumps propulsive power." The other troubling issue for you is your shoulder pain, although you do not provide sufficient information to assess the problem. Could be from the recovery, could be from the pull, could be due to a lack of balance between the pull and the kick. We don't know because we can't see your stroke. My suggestion is that you consult with a stroke coach to see what you are doing incorrectly. Alternatively you can post a video here on the forum. I'm sure many members of the forum would be happy to critique your stroke.
Children
No Data