Plantar fasciitis and swimming

Swimming is supposed to be a good exercise for people with plantar fasciitis, in that it won't inflame the problem, but I'm starting to wonder if this is true for your typical Masters swimmer. For one, there are a lot of hard pushes off the wall. For another, there is swimming with fins (long fins and zoomers). Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't seem to shake my plantar fasciitis and I wonder if swimming (or at least wall-pushing and swimming with fins) is delaying recovery.
  • I got P.F. from running in 1987 and it was more swimming that I turned to to keep me fit. I got custom orthotics and was able to return to run after a couple weeks, but it still took months to completely subside. I continued wearing orthotics forever, still have them.
  • Jack, how the heck are you? I didn't recognize your handle, and only saw your .sig just now. You may not remember me, but I do remember you from GE CRD, BITD. I used to work with Bill Lorenson (Mr. Marching Cubes). You were the "Common Sense Coach" (or something similar) as I recall. @philoswimmer As for exacerbating your PF, you could ditch the fins and only push off with your good foot, or just take it easy on your push-offs, letting pain (or its absence) be your guide.
  • @philoswimmer As for exacerbating your PF, you could ditch the fins and only push off with your good foot, or just take it easy on your push-offs, letting pain (or its absence) be your guide. Yeah, I've been thinking about that. Hard for me - pushing off the wall and swimming with fins are my best things. Without them, I'll have to actually swim!
  • When I am swimming, my PF Feels better. When I am not, I have more frequent 'bad days' with my feet. BTW, driving for more than an hour is what bothers my feet most -- as soon as I get out of the car. I need to get orthodics.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Ice water and flat insoles were helpful to me. Rolling a soft (red/yellow) tennis or lacrosse ball under the feet can be helpful as well.
  • I suffered with PF for quite some time. A friend advised trying Birkenstock shoes which I resisted however when all other avenues did not provide relief I decided to give it a whirl. (I decided to try sandals.) Haven't looked back and it's been 3-4 years.
  • Having been a runner most of my life, I've dealt with PF and Achilles Tendonitis (AT) on several occasions. I'm not a a podiatrist or any other medical expert...but let me explain it the way my docs have explained it to me, and offer treatment that has always been beneficial to me. Obviously PF is the Plantar tendon pulling away from the bone on the bottom of your foot (usually at the heel). It's usually caused or exacerbated by over/excessive use (running, walking/running more hills, inclines, and steps,...and pushing of the pool wall, etc). The reason it's difficult to treat is because of the way the foot is maintained when we're NOT on our feet. Like when we're sleeping for example. The foot is relaxed in the "Plantar Flexion" position (see attached picture). The tendon is not under pressure. During the hours while you're in bed the tendon heals in that position. Then, when you wake up and get out of bed...that first step onto the floor stretches the foot and tendon into the "Dorsiflexion" position...and thereby pulling all that good healing out that just occurred while you slept. That's why most PF sufferers feel that pain in the first few steps in the morning. SO, the doc told me, the best way to treat the condition is to wear a night splint when you're in bed or otherwise relaxing around the house until it's fully healed. The splint holds the foot in the Dorsiflexion position and the tendon heals in that position. So, when you take that first step getting out of bed you don't pull all the new healing out. It's always worked for me (and this is also how I treat AT by the way). But you have to wear it as often as possible. Granted...sleeping with the night splint on isn't the most comfortable thing. But it sure works for me. Good luck. 10565 10566 Night Splint Dan
  • Jack, how the heck are you? I didn't recognize your handle, and only saw your .sig just now. You may not remember me, but I do remember you from GE CRD, BITD. I used to work with Bill Lorenson (Mr. Marching Cubes). You were the "Common Sense Coach" (or something similar) as I recall. Doing well, Skip, older but wiser. I left GE in 1997, but stayed in touch with many friends there, Bill L. and the GE Runners club included. The Common Sense Coach thing was pre-www in the mid to late 80s on Usenet Newsgroups. Searching the wayback machine once I found I was probably the first online running coach. I wrote most on the rec.running FAQ in the beginning.
  • Walking around in bare feet is really bad for plantar fascitis, but somewhat unavoidable for swimmers.. Make sure that you wear flip flops with arch support (not the cheap flat kind) on the pool deck and in the locker room whenever you possibly can. I am PT and have been away from the outpatient world for a long time, but remember that very minimal time walking barefoot could really set off symptoms. That has been my personal experience as well
  • Chacos have very good arch support and most have adjustable straps to really make them fit well.