Injury... hoping it doesn't mess up my swimming

Hi all, After a run during which I tripped and fell, hurting wrist and knee, I had a lovely open water swim (about 2400m, topping off the weekend total to about 12k--doubled this a.m.), but did feel some discomfort in my wrist. I chalked it up to the fall, but now it's evening and the wrist still hurts (though I've been icing and taking tylenol--allergic to NSAIDs). With the Tylenol, I seem to be doing okay w/ typing this, although with slight discomfort. But reading online, I'm seeing all kinds of worrisome stuff, such as that I should get to a doctor, get an MRI, maybe have surgery and at best, 10 days to two weeks of rest. (REST?? WHAT'S THAT?) iI'm training for a 5.4 mile open water swim, so I'm putting in some serious yards (shoulder is starting to feel it too but I figure a few appts w/ my chiro guy should help that--he does ART which is torture but helps). So my question: Have any of you trained w/ a hurt wrist? Does the fact that I could still swim bode well (I hope!). My swim is 7/22, and I want to be ready and don't want to stop training! I'll have my doctor take a look tomorrow, but sometimes she rules on the conservative side. I have taken falls where the wrist came back pretty quickly so I'm hoping that happens this time. Fingers crossed Thoughts? (Also healing vibes/prayers welcome!)
Parents
  • Soak your wrist in icewater, a minute or so at a time, a dozen times a day, while gradually moving your hand in different positions. Dry and keep comfortable at room temperature in between. Don't use heat as that weakens the tissues. Thanks for this. Just did the cold water treatment before leaving for. ...you guessed it. ... swim practice! But it remains to be seen how much I'll be able to do. Is it normal to feel sluggish? I just hurt wrist, not my whole body! The Dr prescribed an x-ray and gave me a tetanus shot just to be safe. I worry about missing training. But then too I have to think of the long term. Meanwhile it does me good to see my swim buds! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • Soak your wrist in icewater, a minute or so at a time, a dozen times a day, while gradually moving your hand in different positions. Dry and keep comfortable at room temperature in between. Don't use heat as that weakens the tissues. Thanks for this. Just did the cold water treatment before leaving for. ...you guessed it. ... swim practice! But it remains to be seen how much I'll be able to do. Is it normal to feel sluggish? I just hurt wrist, not my whole body! The Dr prescribed an x-ray and gave me a tetanus shot just to be safe. I worry about missing training. But then too I have to think of the long term. Meanwhile it does me good to see my swim buds! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Children
No Data