Swim Student Sinks Like a Rock!

Gerald, 58, came to me and practically begged me to teach him how to swim. He is new in our community and had been watching me swim while he lifted weights in the gym. Although Gerald used to fool around in the water with his identical twin brother when they were kids, he had only swum underwater and never learned any of the strokes. Well, Gerald recently heard from his brother that he learned how to swim. To rub salt in the wound further, Gerald's brother bragged about swimming at hotel pools when they travel. :blah: Needless to say, Gerald is highly motivated to catch up to his brother, especially before bro comes to visit Gerald and his wife here in the community. Although I have taught two people how to swim, I am not a certified instructor, but I have been using the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation Adult-Learn-To-Swim Volunteer Teacher Swim Lesson Guide. We started just three weeks ago, and here is a video from today's 7th lesson: www.youtube.com/watch (Although he has also added breathing, this video shows his stroke better.) As you can see, when he is kicking and moving forward, he is able to stay on the surface. The thing is, he can't float! This former football player is solid muscle, and he sinks like a rock! Seriously. Air in the lungs? Check. Chin and belly up? Check. Shoulders and lungs pressed back? Check. Relaxed? Check. He is very comfortable underwater, so he doesn't mind going under, but he won't rise to the surface once he's down! On a push off the wall and a "Superman" glide, he looks great-- until he comes to a complete stop on the BOTTOM of the pool (which is 5 feet deep). He'll just lay there until he runs out of breath. When he does stand up, we both just laugh! This guy is DEDICATED and wants swimming to become his main fitness focus. He has practiced every single day since our first lesson in late May, and he is determined. Between his dedication, determination, size 15 feet, and long fingers; I think he'll be a really good swimmer. In fact, I told him if he keeps up the good work, I'll bring him with me to compete at the Georgia Senior Olympics, in September! :cheerleader: Any ideas on how I can get Gerald to float without supporting him? :help: He even sinks with my pull buoy! :bouncing:
Parents
  • Elaine!! Great second video - he is really doing well with the breathing. Very nice to see. About the fins, you're right to keep them limited if you decide to use them. They might help with flexibility but in many people they also tend to promote a kick that comes from the knees instead of the hips. Plus as you can see even though it has been a bit more challenging working without fins, Gerald is really using his kick there so he's learning how to develop that aspect of his stroke naturally. Thanks for the good wishes - dad and brother say hello back :) Thanks! :D Looks like his neck is a little stiff (possibly from weight lifting), are you sure he is getting a breath every time he is lifting his head? Is he exhaling properly after each breath? For a beginner his stroke looks good Stiff? Definitely! This is the least flexible person I have ever seen! Believe me, I have been encouraging him to do both dynamic stretching before swimming, and static stretching after. In addition, I encourage him to do additional stretching while watching TV at night. If there is one thing I will never have to worry about with Gerald is him holding his breath. He took to blowing bubbles immediately, and I see them coming out each side of his mouth when I watch him swim. The reason I think he quits too soon, though, is that he is not INHALING enough! Having said that, he IS a beginner. I had a total of 7 lessons with him in 2-1/2 weeks before he had to go out of town, and I didn't teach him breathing until the lesson before that video was shot. He had one day to practice in between. We won't be able to resume our lessons until mid-July, but I know he will be practicing regularly. I can't wait to see him swim when we get back together!!! :cheerleader:
  • Elaine!! Great second video - he is really doing well with the breathing. Very nice to see. About the fins, you're right to keep them limited if you decide to use them. They might help with flexibility but in many people they also tend to promote a kick that comes from the knees instead of the hips. Plus as you can see even though it has been a bit more challenging working without fins, Gerald is really using his kick there so he's learning how to develop that aspect of his stroke naturally. Thanks for the good wishes - dad and brother say hello back :) Thanks! :D Looks like his neck is a little stiff (possibly from weight lifting), are you sure he is getting a breath every time he is lifting his head? Is he exhaling properly after each breath? For a beginner his stroke looks good Stiff? Definitely! This is the least flexible person I have ever seen! Believe me, I have been encouraging him to do both dynamic stretching before swimming, and static stretching after. In addition, I encourage him to do additional stretching while watching TV at night. If there is one thing I will never have to worry about with Gerald is him holding his breath. He took to blowing bubbles immediately, and I see them coming out each side of his mouth when I watch him swim. The reason I think he quits too soon, though, is that he is not INHALING enough! Having said that, he IS a beginner. I had a total of 7 lessons with him in 2-1/2 weeks before he had to go out of town, and I didn't teach him breathing until the lesson before that video was shot. He had one day to practice in between. We won't be able to resume our lessons until mid-July, but I know he will be practicing regularly. I can't wait to see him swim when we get back together!!! :cheerleader:
Children
No Data