Swim Student Sinks Like a Rock!

Gerald, 58, came to me and practically begged me to teach him how to swim. He is new in our community and had been watching me swim while he lifted weights in the gym. Although Gerald used to fool around in the water with his identical twin brother when they were kids, he had only swum underwater and never learned any of the strokes. Well, Gerald recently heard from his brother that he learned how to swim. To rub salt in the wound further, Gerald's brother bragged about swimming at hotel pools when they travel. :blah: Needless to say, Gerald is highly motivated to catch up to his brother, especially before bro comes to visit Gerald and his wife here in the community. Although I have taught two people how to swim, I am not a certified instructor, but I have been using the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation Adult-Learn-To-Swim Volunteer Teacher Swim Lesson Guide. We started just three weeks ago, and here is a video from today's 7th lesson: www.youtube.com/watch (Although he has also added breathing, this video shows his stroke better.) As you can see, when he is kicking and moving forward, he is able to stay on the surface. The thing is, he can't float! This former football player is solid muscle, and he sinks like a rock! Seriously. Air in the lungs? Check. Chin and belly up? Check. Shoulders and lungs pressed back? Check. Relaxed? Check. He is very comfortable underwater, so he doesn't mind going under, but he won't rise to the surface once he's down! On a push off the wall and a "Superman" glide, he looks great-- until he comes to a complete stop on the BOTTOM of the pool (which is 5 feet deep). He'll just lay there until he runs out of breath. When he does stand up, we both just laugh! This guy is DEDICATED and wants swimming to become his main fitness focus. He has practiced every single day since our first lesson in late May, and he is determined. Between his dedication, determination, size 15 feet, and long fingers; I think he'll be a really good swimmer. In fact, I told him if he keeps up the good work, I'll bring him with me to compete at the Georgia Senior Olympics, in September! :cheerleader: Any ideas on how I can get Gerald to float without supporting him? :help: He even sinks with my pull buoy! :bouncing:
Parents
  • One of the best things he can do to gain ankle flexibility is just sit kneeling with toes pointed. As he gains flexibility he can lean back like this: 2.bp.blogspot.com/.../IMG_0537.JPG and eventually try to raise his knees off the ground: www.usms.org/.../878_250.jpg Thanks for the ideas, Arthur. So far, I just showed him how he could sit in a chair and do ankle circles (clockwise and counterclockwise) while watching TV in the evenings or reading a book. I will check his flexibility from time to time and see when he is ready to move on to your suggestions. Right now his ankles couldn't handle either one! :afraid:
  • One of the best things he can do to gain ankle flexibility is just sit kneeling with toes pointed. As he gains flexibility he can lean back like this: 2.bp.blogspot.com/.../IMG_0537.JPG and eventually try to raise his knees off the ground: www.usms.org/.../878_250.jpg Thanks for the ideas, Arthur. So far, I just showed him how he could sit in a chair and do ankle circles (clockwise and counterclockwise) while watching TV in the evenings or reading a book. I will check his flexibility from time to time and see when he is ready to move on to your suggestions. Right now his ankles couldn't handle either one! :afraid:
Children
No Data