Swim Student Sinks Like a Rock!

Gerald, 58, came to me and practically begged me to teach him how to swim. He is new in our community and had been watching me swim while he lifted weights in the gym. Although Gerald used to fool around in the water with his identical twin brother when they were kids, he had only swum underwater and never learned any of the strokes. Well, Gerald recently heard from his brother that he learned how to swim. To rub salt in the wound further, Gerald's brother bragged about swimming at hotel pools when they travel. :blah: Needless to say, Gerald is highly motivated to catch up to his brother, especially before bro comes to visit Gerald and his wife here in the community. Although I have taught two people how to swim, I am not a certified instructor, but I have been using the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation Adult-Learn-To-Swim Volunteer Teacher Swim Lesson Guide. We started just three weeks ago, and here is a video from today's 7th lesson: www.youtube.com/watch (Although he has also added breathing, this video shows his stroke better.) As you can see, when he is kicking and moving forward, he is able to stay on the surface. The thing is, he can't float! This former football player is solid muscle, and he sinks like a rock! Seriously. Air in the lungs? Check. Chin and belly up? Check. Shoulders and lungs pressed back? Check. Relaxed? Check. He is very comfortable underwater, so he doesn't mind going under, but he won't rise to the surface once he's down! On a push off the wall and a "Superman" glide, he looks great-- until he comes to a complete stop on the BOTTOM of the pool (which is 5 feet deep). He'll just lay there until he runs out of breath. When he does stand up, we both just laugh! This guy is DEDICATED and wants swimming to become his main fitness focus. He has practiced every single day since our first lesson in late May, and he is determined. Between his dedication, determination, size 15 feet, and long fingers; I think he'll be a really good swimmer. In fact, I told him if he keeps up the good work, I'll bring him with me to compete at the Georgia Senior Olympics, in September! :cheerleader: Any ideas on how I can get Gerald to float without supporting him? :help: He even sinks with my pull buoy! :bouncing:
Parents
  • he looks strong and eager. He wants to BEAT his BROTHER. 1st Have him do a 25 freestyle as fast as he can for time, time him with a stop watch or your iphone. TELL him to swim as fast as you can and DON'T give him any other instructions. Get his time. Also Watch him swim and look for easy things to correct. Let him REST. Give him a few short simple instructions on how to swim faster THEN have him RACE another 25 freestyle for time. Compare the times. Don't tell him this stuff until after he does his 1st 25 for time. 1st Get him to wear a jammer and not that baggy suit. 2nd Teach him how to do a proper push off streamline glide into a breakout, he started swimming about 5 or 6 feet off the wall and should glide 12 to 15 feet before he takes his 1st stroke. He should do a correct push off EVERY time he pushes off the wall 3rd have him watch and copy the most graceful freestyle youtube video 4th his legs sink because he's not kicking properly, he should copy the kick in the youtube There's more. Keep it simple and progressive. Hey, Ande! :wave: I missed you at Nationals. Since you were the one to call me "Elaine-iaK," I always think of you when I add a post to my blog. Check this post out; you'll appreciate it, I'm sure: elaineiakstravels.wordpress.com/.../ Thanks for the suggestions! I have taught Gerald the the proper push off & streamline glide, but he conveniently "forgot" to do it for this video clip. (He's still not comfortable with it yet, because it's a lot to think about.) Gerald understands it's quicker, though, so I'm sure he'll add it in as he gets more used to swimming. (He only started learning how to swim a couple of weeks prior to this video being shot!) I had also sent him this video when I first started giving him lessons: www.youtube.com/watch As for jammers, I had also sent him a Swim Outlet link to jammers that are even on sale. I'm hoping he orders a pair, because those trunks are like a drag suit! We won't be able to meet up again for about one month due to each of us traveling, but I will time him when we meet again. He is super motivated and even chose a hotel at his destination based on the available POOL! :applaud: I can't wait to see how he has progressed by then, and I'll bet he will be ready for the Georgia Senior Olympics on September 16th! I am strongly encouraging him to make that meet a goal, so he can qualify for 2017 National Senior Games in Birmingham. :cheerleader: Hopefully, I can also get him to join USMS and join me at area swim meets! :banana:
  • he looks strong and eager. He wants to BEAT his BROTHER. 1st Have him do a 25 freestyle as fast as he can for time, time him with a stop watch or your iphone. TELL him to swim as fast as you can and DON'T give him any other instructions. Get his time. Also Watch him swim and look for easy things to correct. Let him REST. Give him a few short simple instructions on how to swim faster THEN have him RACE another 25 freestyle for time. Compare the times. Don't tell him this stuff until after he does his 1st 25 for time. 1st Get him to wear a jammer and not that baggy suit. 2nd Teach him how to do a proper push off streamline glide into a breakout, he started swimming about 5 or 6 feet off the wall and should glide 12 to 15 feet before he takes his 1st stroke. He should do a correct push off EVERY time he pushes off the wall 3rd have him watch and copy the most graceful freestyle youtube video 4th his legs sink because he's not kicking properly, he should copy the kick in the youtube There's more. Keep it simple and progressive. Hey, Ande! :wave: I missed you at Nationals. Since you were the one to call me "Elaine-iaK," I always think of you when I add a post to my blog. Check this post out; you'll appreciate it, I'm sure: elaineiakstravels.wordpress.com/.../ Thanks for the suggestions! I have taught Gerald the the proper push off & streamline glide, but he conveniently "forgot" to do it for this video clip. (He's still not comfortable with it yet, because it's a lot to think about.) Gerald understands it's quicker, though, so I'm sure he'll add it in as he gets more used to swimming. (He only started learning how to swim a couple of weeks prior to this video being shot!) I had also sent him this video when I first started giving him lessons: www.youtube.com/watch As for jammers, I had also sent him a Swim Outlet link to jammers that are even on sale. I'm hoping he orders a pair, because those trunks are like a drag suit! We won't be able to meet up again for about one month due to each of us traveling, but I will time him when we meet again. He is super motivated and even chose a hotel at his destination based on the available POOL! :applaud: I can't wait to see how he has progressed by then, and I'll bet he will be ready for the Georgia Senior Olympics on September 16th! I am strongly encouraging him to make that meet a goal, so he can qualify for 2017 National Senior Games in Birmingham. :cheerleader: Hopefully, I can also get him to join USMS and join me at area swim meets! :banana:
Children
No Data