Swim Student Sinks Like a Rock!

Gerald, 58, came to me and practically begged me to teach him how to swim. He is new in our community and had been watching me swim while he lifted weights in the gym. Although Gerald used to fool around in the water with his identical twin brother when they were kids, he had only swum underwater and never learned any of the strokes. Well, Gerald recently heard from his brother that he learned how to swim. To rub salt in the wound further, Gerald's brother bragged about swimming at hotel pools when they travel. :blah: Needless to say, Gerald is highly motivated to catch up to his brother, especially before bro comes to visit Gerald and his wife here in the community. Although I have taught two people how to swim, I am not a certified instructor, but I have been using the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation Adult-Learn-To-Swim Volunteer Teacher Swim Lesson Guide. We started just three weeks ago, and here is a video from today's 7th lesson: www.youtube.com/watch (Although he has also added breathing, this video shows his stroke better.) As you can see, when he is kicking and moving forward, he is able to stay on the surface. The thing is, he can't float! This former football player is solid muscle, and he sinks like a rock! Seriously. Air in the lungs? Check. Chin and belly up? Check. Shoulders and lungs pressed back? Check. Relaxed? Check. He is very comfortable underwater, so he doesn't mind going under, but he won't rise to the surface once he's down! On a push off the wall and a "Superman" glide, he looks great-- until he comes to a complete stop on the BOTTOM of the pool (which is 5 feet deep). He'll just lay there until he runs out of breath. When he does stand up, we both just laugh! This guy is DEDICATED and wants swimming to become his main fitness focus. He has practiced every single day since our first lesson in late May, and he is determined. Between his dedication, determination, size 15 feet, and long fingers; I think he'll be a really good swimmer. In fact, I told him if he keeps up the good work, I'll bring him with me to compete at the Georgia Senior Olympics, in September! :cheerleader: Any ideas on how I can get Gerald to float without supporting him? :help: He even sinks with my pull buoy! :bouncing:
Parents
  • I hate fins, and my kick is the pits, but when I use them even for a few laps, my kick and ankle flexibility improve exponentially. Bless you, Elaine, for helping this lovely man. Wish I lived close enough to come swim with the two of you. If I may suggest, he could try a Pilates mat class or very gentle yoga for flexibility. There's a form of yoga, Kripalu, that is perfect for people like him (and me) who aren't flexible. It's very gentle. Age takes away our flexibility, but when I was taking Kripalu Yoga I was amazed at how quickly I improved.
  • I hate fins, and my kick is the pits, but when I use them even for a few laps, my kick and ankle flexibility improve exponentially. Bless you, Elaine, for helping this lovely man. Wish I lived close enough to come swim with the two of you. If I may suggest, he could try a Pilates mat class or very gentle yoga for flexibility. There's a form of yoga, Kripalu, that is perfect for people like him (and me) who aren't flexible. It's very gentle. Age takes away our flexibility, but when I was taking Kripalu Yoga I was amazed at how quickly I improved.
Children
No Data