Fins

Former Member
Former Member
So I am a beginner swimmer. For training, our coach has been making us wear fins. Unfortunately with the fins, whenever I land on my feet, the blade tends to get under my feet. If I raise my legs, I fall backwards. After I tumble over and splash, it is hard for me to get back on my feet too. I know how I organs fins are. Do I wear short blade fins instead of long blade? Any suggestions?
Parents
  • Walking backwards is much easier with fins on while looking over your shoulder. Watch some old episodes of Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges.:) (now if I've dated myself) Divers move by walking backwards when they have fins on (in or out of the water). Also, fins come in various lengths, according to the length of their blade - ultra short - short - medium - long. Shorter bladed fins are easier to shuffle forward in, while long fins are nearly impossible to do so without stepping on the blade, as you experienced. IMHO, for swimming, long fins are good for increasing ankle flexibility and adding "easy speed" while you swim - generally great for beginners. Ultra short fins are designed to make you work harder (than without fins) when kicking, if you keep your kick beat up at 4 or 6 per stroke - generally good for experienced swimmers who want to build their kick.
  • Walking backwards is much easier with fins on while looking over your shoulder. Watch some old episodes of Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges.:) (now if I've dated myself) Divers move by walking backwards when they have fins on (in or out of the water). Also, fins come in various lengths, according to the length of their blade - ultra short - short - medium - long. Shorter bladed fins are easier to shuffle forward in, while long fins are nearly impossible to do so without stepping on the blade, as you experienced. IMHO, for swimming, long fins are good for increasing ankle flexibility and adding "easy speed" while you swim - generally great for beginners. Ultra short fins are designed to make you work harder (than without fins) when kicking, if you keep your kick beat up at 4 or 6 per stroke - generally good for experienced swimmers who want to build their kick.
Children
No Data