Going to USA Masters Games?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm crazy for signing up to participate in the USA Masters Games in Greensboro this summer. Anyone else going? Which events? How competitive are you? I have mostly signed up because open water swims are hard to come by in areas that I can get to and from pretty easily just the day of. I have done a few open water swim competitions over the years, but I'm not particularly competitive (read: I'm not very fast). I'm wondering if I've set myself up for a situation where I'm not just last, I'm way behind. Don't get me wrong, I'm basically at this for my health and fitness and because I genuinely enjoy swimming (especially open water) so I don't mind being at the back of the pack, but I'm curious about where I'm likely to fall as I prep. I'm looking forward to getting to watch some of the pool events as well. I have never gotten up the guts to sign up for a pool meet - I do not have a local Masters group to swim with so I don't have a group to go with or the training in starts and turns and all that stuff that would make me feel comfortable competing in the pool, but maybe this will get me going. I'm interested in hearing from other who have signed up or are considering signing up. Thank you!
Parents
  • Also, it will be interesting to see how well attended the event is this year. That may sway my decision to attend in 2018 as well. Given its location might attendance this year be negatively affected by recent legislative activity in North Carolina? (Not wanting to raise a possibly sore subject, but still, it might have dissuaded some people from attending.)
  • Also, it will be interesting to see how well attended the event is this year. That may sway my decision to attend in 2018 as well. Given its location might attendance this year be negatively affected by recent legislative activity in North Carolina? (Not wanting to raise a possibly sore subject, but still, it might have dissuaded some people from attending.)
Children
No Data