Going to USA Masters Games?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm crazy for signing up to participate in the USA Masters Games in Greensboro this summer. Anyone else going? Which events? How competitive are you? I have mostly signed up because open water swims are hard to come by in areas that I can get to and from pretty easily just the day of. I have done a few open water swim competitions over the years, but I'm not particularly competitive (read: I'm not very fast). I'm wondering if I've set myself up for a situation where I'm not just last, I'm way behind. Don't get me wrong, I'm basically at this for my health and fitness and because I genuinely enjoy swimming (especially open water) so I don't mind being at the back of the pack, but I'm curious about where I'm likely to fall as I prep. I'm looking forward to getting to watch some of the pool events as well. I have never gotten up the guts to sign up for a pool meet - I do not have a local Masters group to swim with so I don't have a group to go with or the training in starts and turns and all that stuff that would make me feel comfortable competing in the pool, but maybe this will get me going. I'm interested in hearing from other who have signed up or are considering signing up. Thank you!
Parents
  • I believe the plan is for it to be even number years. I wish they had a participant list. When I sign up for open water swims there's usually a way to see who else is signed up to get an idea of how many participants there are. I live in NC and am only planning on doing the open water swim so in theory I could just get up super early the morning of and arrive just for my event so the expense is not really an issue for me. I was hoping to make kind of a weekend of it and stay in Greensboro and catch some of the pool events as well and see what their Games hub is like. I didn't realize they had dropped the price until after I'd signed up and went back through and read some of their old newsletters so the idea of their being a lack of participation hadn't really occurred to me. It'll be interesting to see if this takes off.
  • I believe the plan is for it to be even number years. I wish they had a participant list. When I sign up for open water swims there's usually a way to see who else is signed up to get an idea of how many participants there are. I live in NC and am only planning on doing the open water swim so in theory I could just get up super early the morning of and arrive just for my event so the expense is not really an issue for me. I was hoping to make kind of a weekend of it and stay in Greensboro and catch some of the pool events as well and see what their Games hub is like. I didn't realize they had dropped the price until after I'd signed up and went back through and read some of their old newsletters so the idea of their being a lack of participation hadn't really occurred to me. It'll be interesting to see if this takes off.
Children
No Data