How do you get faster/ better at swimming.

Former Member
Former Member
I'm 15 and I run cross country and track. I live in a town with lakes but no indoor pools and right now i've been swimming like 1/2 to 3/4 of mile in the lake every other day for cross training. I actually really like it and could use some advice on what to do from here.
Parents
  • This 1) I disagree with finding a coach being any type of priority. And also that can be quite limiting. Most important is to do what you want. 2) Always do what YOU want to do, not what some random coach tells you to do. Often they are totally wrong... helps me to understand this ... Granted I was a kid, wanted to do well and didn't know any better. But he could have provided some direction on when and where I could swim, rather than being a self serving jerk. That people try to justify coaches being that way is not helpful and simply perpetuates their bad attitudes. As for advice, I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish with your swimming. If it is just a matter of aerobic cross training then just swimming in the lake and increasing your distance may work. The more inefficient you are in the water, the greater the aerobic benefit per mile. If you want to become a better swimmer, then you probably need a coach to help with technique.
  • This 1) I disagree with finding a coach being any type of priority. And also that can be quite limiting. Most important is to do what you want. 2) Always do what YOU want to do, not what some random coach tells you to do. Often they are totally wrong... helps me to understand this ... Granted I was a kid, wanted to do well and didn't know any better. But he could have provided some direction on when and where I could swim, rather than being a self serving jerk. That people try to justify coaches being that way is not helpful and simply perpetuates their bad attitudes. As for advice, I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish with your swimming. If it is just a matter of aerobic cross training then just swimming in the lake and increasing your distance may work. The more inefficient you are in the water, the greater the aerobic benefit per mile. If you want to become a better swimmer, then you probably need a coach to help with technique.
Children
No Data