Do you do dryland exercises?

Former Member
Former Member
I suppose the pros do a lot of dryland exercises since that's part of their living :D What about the amateurs? Is it crucial in order to swim right and well? Especially the core training?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Hi there! I've returned to training for open water swimming recently, and because of a back injury, I have to do dryland stuff in addition to the simming, but I'm at a loss of how to schedule the dryland workouts vs. my water workouts. Sometimes doing a swim after the dryland stuff is great for the back, but it's long and tiring. Should I alternate days? Only do the dryland stuff a couple of times a week? Any thoughts? Thanks! Alternating days is best. It can be difficult to go back to back with activities. Avoid burning out and making your fitness time an enjoyable routine is important to stay consistent. I usually swim M,W,F and use the gym on T,Th and sometimes Sat. (Depending on age, you should always fit in a recovery day). As far as types of dryland, it doesn't necessarily have to be heavy weights. Most facilities have a variety of weight machines, including rowing machines, and stair masters. This time of year is excellent for bike riding, and stand up paddle boarding. An excellent cross over sport for swimmers!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Hi there! I've returned to training for open water swimming recently, and because of a back injury, I have to do dryland stuff in addition to the simming, but I'm at a loss of how to schedule the dryland workouts vs. my water workouts. Sometimes doing a swim after the dryland stuff is great for the back, but it's long and tiring. Should I alternate days? Only do the dryland stuff a couple of times a week? Any thoughts? Thanks! Alternating days is best. It can be difficult to go back to back with activities. Avoid burning out and making your fitness time an enjoyable routine is important to stay consistent. I usually swim M,W,F and use the gym on T,Th and sometimes Sat. (Depending on age, you should always fit in a recovery day). As far as types of dryland, it doesn't necessarily have to be heavy weights. Most facilities have a variety of weight machines, including rowing machines, and stair masters. This time of year is excellent for bike riding, and stand up paddle boarding. An excellent cross over sport for swimmers!
Children
No Data