Do you do dryland exercises?

Former Member
Former Member
I suppose the pros do a lot of dryland exercises since that's part of their living :D What about the amateurs? Is it crucial in order to swim right and well? Especially the core training?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I think at some point, every competitive masters swimmer should be taking time to do dryland or go to the gym. Sooner or later everyone is going to hit a plateau, and having the additional strength will stave off the eventual decline. This all depends on your age of course. (Some 30 somethings will keep improving well into their 40's before they experience any noticeable performance loss) Also...Swimming alone is not an impact sport, and there are many older swimmers who may encounter loss in bone density despite how often they hit the water. I recall seeing an article on osteoporosis in elderly swimmers and it was quite surprising. Anyway, dryland is definitely a benefit. It let's you break out the proverbial can of whoop-ass on the last lap of your 100....and most importantly, will help you retain muscle mass and density well into your AARP years and beyond.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I think at some point, every competitive masters swimmer should be taking time to do dryland or go to the gym. Sooner or later everyone is going to hit a plateau, and having the additional strength will stave off the eventual decline. This all depends on your age of course. (Some 30 somethings will keep improving well into their 40's before they experience any noticeable performance loss) Also...Swimming alone is not an impact sport, and there are many older swimmers who may encounter loss in bone density despite how often they hit the water. I recall seeing an article on osteoporosis in elderly swimmers and it was quite surprising. Anyway, dryland is definitely a benefit. It let's you break out the proverbial can of whoop-ass on the last lap of your 100....and most importantly, will help you retain muscle mass and density well into your AARP years and beyond.
Children
No Data