Newbie swimmer thinking of joining community college team?

Former Member
Former Member
Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I'm a 20 y/o male and have just recently gotten into swimming. I swam in 8th grade and was pretty average but have no swim team experience otherwise. I've ran cross country, track, wrestled, powerlifted, and played basketball before for what it's worth. I go to a community college and was recently thinking that it might be fun to join their swim team. I'm decently athletic and learn fast, but obviously having just started swimming, I'm terrible. Haha I mean I can do the strokes somewhat (butterfly is iffy), and have some endurance, but that's about it, very very basic stuff. I was wondering how feasible it might be to join? There aren't try-outs and the off-season training (summer and fall, then meets start in February), etc. is open for all students, but from what I've heard about the coach, she doesn't like having newbies join (understandably). What do you guys think? If I train my butt off for the forseeable future, is there an spot for me on the team? Should I contact the coach/participate in off-season training or train by myself first? Should I forget about it and continue to swim for fun anyway and/or join a class? (I'll continue to swim regardless ha). Sorry for all the questions... I guess what I'm asking for is maybe some benchmarks to know when/if I'll ever be ready to join without wasting the coach's time? Thanks for reading. Apologies for the silly/newbie questions. :) ***I don't mean any offense to those future/current/past college swimmers who've swam for years by thinking I could possibly join... I know I'd be one of if not the slowest on the team and am okay with that, I just want to push myself and have fun playing a sport again***
Parents
  • Have you looked at any of the times posted in past meets by the team? That might give you an idea of where you are relative to the expected performance level. But also talk to the coach, in person if possible. Call and make an appointment to sit down. That way you can better judge their attitude & expectations and it gives you a better chance to show your level of interest & enthusiasm, even if your performance might not be there yet. Several college teams use our pool here in Sarasota for winter training trips. Some are powerhouses like Louisville with studs like Kelsi Worrell. But we also see some smaller DIII schools, who work hard but are at a lower, more achievable performance level. If you have a great attitude, are willing to work hard and be a good teammate, the coach might give you a shot. It might mean spending your time in the outside lanes every day, but you also may get a chance to help fill out some 'B' relay teams at dual meets. I think your only regret in the future would be in not giving it a shot when you had the chance. Good luck, Mark
  • Have you looked at any of the times posted in past meets by the team? That might give you an idea of where you are relative to the expected performance level. But also talk to the coach, in person if possible. Call and make an appointment to sit down. That way you can better judge their attitude & expectations and it gives you a better chance to show your level of interest & enthusiasm, even if your performance might not be there yet. Several college teams use our pool here in Sarasota for winter training trips. Some are powerhouses like Louisville with studs like Kelsi Worrell. But we also see some smaller DIII schools, who work hard but are at a lower, more achievable performance level. If you have a great attitude, are willing to work hard and be a good teammate, the coach might give you a shot. It might mean spending your time in the outside lanes every day, but you also may get a chance to help fill out some 'B' relay teams at dual meets. I think your only regret in the future would be in not giving it a shot when you had the chance. Good luck, Mark
Children
No Data