rinsing chlorine from hair after swimming

Former Member
Former Member
My hair is usually soft and silky, but chlorine has been building up from swimming, making my hair stiff and brittle. TJs citrus shampoo has usually worked fine once a week, but shampooing even daily after swimming a few weeks has been lathering much less than previously, probably due to the buildup of chlorine. Rinsing with baking soda has apparently removed the chlorine, brought the shampoo back to full lather and removed the stiffness. Thus my plan is to continue with shampooing daily, and use the baking soda rinse twice a week. However, is shampooing this much necessary, and what do you think of the baking soda rinse? I'm interested to see your comments, and how you remove chlorine from your hair.
Parents
  • I started swimming year round in a heavily chlorinated indoor pool with a masters group after years of Summer only swimming in a less chlorinated outdoor pool. My shoulder length, brunette, fine & straight Caucasian hair was turning to straw and also turning brassy. I'm presently working my way through the various brands of Swimmers shampoo. So far I've tried TriSwim, Paul Mitchell, Malibu & just started a bottle of TimSwim. I've only used TimSwim once so too soon to tell, but looks promising. My top choice so far is Malibu, TriSwim is OK and Paul Mitchell worked but was too drying. I really like the weekly treatment crystals in the foil pouches that are also made from Malibu. I only do the treatment about twice a month and can usually get about four treatment out of each pouch. I just use regular deep conditioner. The real trick is too get your hair wet in the shower, put in leave in conditioner and then use a swim cap. I think pretreating the hair matters more than the shampoo. I also try to avoid shampooing on days i don't swim unless i have gotten sweaty.
  • I started swimming year round in a heavily chlorinated indoor pool with a masters group after years of Summer only swimming in a less chlorinated outdoor pool. My shoulder length, brunette, fine & straight Caucasian hair was turning to straw and also turning brassy. I'm presently working my way through the various brands of Swimmers shampoo. So far I've tried TriSwim, Paul Mitchell, Malibu & just started a bottle of TimSwim. I've only used TimSwim once so too soon to tell, but looks promising. My top choice so far is Malibu, TriSwim is OK and Paul Mitchell worked but was too drying. I really like the weekly treatment crystals in the foil pouches that are also made from Malibu. I only do the treatment about twice a month and can usually get about four treatment out of each pouch. I just use regular deep conditioner. The real trick is too get your hair wet in the shower, put in leave in conditioner and then use a swim cap. I think pretreating the hair matters more than the shampoo. I also try to avoid shampooing on days i don't swim unless i have gotten sweaty.
Children
No Data