Freestyle help needed: One dropped elbow

Now that Nationals are over, it's back to the drawing board- or, at least video feedback for stroke flaws. This video my husband shot for me today shows I am dropping my left elbow on entry, and it's waving around a bit as I reach forward. Does anybody have suggestions on how to correct this stroke flaw? Your advice would be most appreciated! Thanks, Forumites! www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • You were doing this during your 1,000 free at Nationals. Over reaching on both sides, putting the brakes on with your wrists, over rotating on your dropped side. That is...until you got tired/down to work. Your stroke started cleaning itself right up as you passed 500 yards. One of my coach friends and stopped to chat and I pointed it out, said, "not too often someone's stroke keeps getting better the more tired they are." Then you weren't messing around with the reach, you were digging right in and the over rotation went away. Not perfect but a ton better than at the start. We had figured you used the first half as a built in warm up, as some swimmers do, and your real stroke was coming out as you got warmed up. While all these tips are great, you can do it pretty good when you really get moving. I think you just need to stop getting so long at the front of your stroke (shorten your stroke a bit) while swimming at these more "relaxed" speeds. It won't actually shorten it, it will just FEEL that way to you. Because I bet when you're trying to haul through the last 500 of the 1000 it feels as though your stroke is shorter.
  • You were doing this during your 1,000 free at Nationals. Over reaching on both sides, putting the brakes on with your wrists, over rotating on your dropped side. That is...until you got tired/down to work. Your stroke started cleaning itself right up as you passed 500 yards. One of my coach friends and stopped to chat and I pointed it out, said, "not too often someone's stroke keeps getting better the more tired they are." Then you weren't messing around with the reach, you were digging right in and the over rotation went away. Not perfect but a ton better than at the start. We had figured you used the first half as a built in warm up, as some swimmers do, and your real stroke was coming out as you got warmed up. While all these tips are great, you can do it pretty good when you really get moving. I think you just need to stop getting so long at the front of your stroke (shorten your stroke a bit) while swimming at these more "relaxed" speeds. It won't actually shorten it, it will just FEEL that way to you. Because I bet when you're trying to haul through the last 500 of the 1000 it feels as though your stroke is shorter.
Children
No Data