Freestyle help needed: One dropped elbow

Now that Nationals are over, it's back to the drawing board- or, at least video feedback for stroke flaws. This video my husband shot for me today shows I am dropping my left elbow on entry, and it's waving around a bit as I reach forward. Does anybody have suggestions on how to correct this stroke flaw? Your advice would be most appreciated! Thanks, Forumites! www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • It might help to think about and visualize the shoulder rotation early after your left hand enters, and begins to reach. I believe if you visualize rotating that left shoulder for the hand to slide down the VW hood as Pat said (or over a big ball - see below) it will help, making sure as bobinator said you are rotating the shoulder to push water backwards and not down. Your shoulder is now flattening and maybe even rotating a little the other way (like backstroke) during the reach and that makes the elbow drop. As someone suggested it seems to be related to the non-breathing side, so switching breathing sides every other lap for awhile might help too. The shoulder rotation (actual not visual) with the catch will help engage the bigger back muscles (lats) as your arm starts to abduct from the catch and the pull begins. You can practice this dryland lying over one of those big balls in the gym (I saw a video a few years back on YouTube of a Tennessee women's swimmer and their coach doing this over a big ball, but I haven't found it since). You kind of roll out on the ball letting your hand follow the ball down as you roll it forward. Good luck with it Elaine - hope it helps
  • It might help to think about and visualize the shoulder rotation early after your left hand enters, and begins to reach. I believe if you visualize rotating that left shoulder for the hand to slide down the VW hood as Pat said (or over a big ball - see below) it will help, making sure as bobinator said you are rotating the shoulder to push water backwards and not down. Your shoulder is now flattening and maybe even rotating a little the other way (like backstroke) during the reach and that makes the elbow drop. As someone suggested it seems to be related to the non-breathing side, so switching breathing sides every other lap for awhile might help too. The shoulder rotation (actual not visual) with the catch will help engage the bigger back muscles (lats) as your arm starts to abduct from the catch and the pull begins. You can practice this dryland lying over one of those big balls in the gym (I saw a video a few years back on YouTube of a Tennessee women's swimmer and their coach doing this over a big ball, but I haven't found it since). You kind of roll out on the ball letting your hand follow the ball down as you roll it forward. Good luck with it Elaine - hope it helps
Children
No Data