Freestyle help needed: One dropped elbow

Now that Nationals are over, it's back to the drawing board- or, at least video feedback for stroke flaws. This video my husband shot for me today shows I am dropping my left elbow on entry, and it's waving around a bit as I reach forward. Does anybody have suggestions on how to correct this stroke flaw? Your advice would be most appreciated! Thanks, Forumites! www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • In keeping with the VW theme from Coach Mark's most excellent looking van, I'd offer this way to think about your entry, courtesy of some work I did with Terry Laughlin of Total Immersion a few years back: as your hand enters the water, think about your hand sliding down the hood and over the grill of a car (but think more Beetle\Bug than campervan as you imagine this) That thought might help you get your hand higher than your elbow. The video I'd next like to see is your over-water recovery as I'd like to see if you're entering at too low an angle to 'cause' your elbow to drop underwater. On the positive side, I think the kick-hip-rotation is great. Ok, a Bug it is! I like that!:anim_coffee: I don't have a current top view of my freestyle; however, I'm sure I can recruit my personal videographer / swim meet sherpa / awesome hubby to shoot one. :D It's good to know my hip rotation and kick is "great," because I've been working on it since Swimspire offered it as a way to improve my freestyle. WooHOO, something stuck in my training! Edit: I do have this video from a meet in April. Fast-forward to the anchor leg of this relay for some really tired, slow freestyle. This was the last race of a two-day meet where I swam a killer event line-up of 1650, 500, 400 IM, 200 fly, 200 ***, 200 back, 100 fly, 100 ***, 50 ***, and 50 fly: www.youtube.com/watch Jzj5giLombkZ1_y115
  • In keeping with the VW theme from Coach Mark's most excellent looking van, I'd offer this way to think about your entry, courtesy of some work I did with Terry Laughlin of Total Immersion a few years back: as your hand enters the water, think about your hand sliding down the hood and over the grill of a car (but think more Beetle\Bug than campervan as you imagine this) That thought might help you get your hand higher than your elbow. The video I'd next like to see is your over-water recovery as I'd like to see if you're entering at too low an angle to 'cause' your elbow to drop underwater. On the positive side, I think the kick-hip-rotation is great. Ok, a Bug it is! I like that!:anim_coffee: I don't have a current top view of my freestyle; however, I'm sure I can recruit my personal videographer / swim meet sherpa / awesome hubby to shoot one. :D It's good to know my hip rotation and kick is "great," because I've been working on it since Swimspire offered it as a way to improve my freestyle. WooHOO, something stuck in my training! Edit: I do have this video from a meet in April. Fast-forward to the anchor leg of this relay for some really tired, slow freestyle. This was the last race of a two-day meet where I swam a killer event line-up of 1650, 500, 400 IM, 200 fly, 200 ***, 200 back, 100 fly, 100 ***, 50 ***, and 50 fly: www.youtube.com/watch Jzj5giLombkZ1_y115
Children
No Data