Freestyle help needed: One dropped elbow

Now that Nationals are over, it's back to the drawing board- or, at least video feedback for stroke flaws. This video my husband shot for me today shows I am dropping my left elbow on entry, and it's waving around a bit as I reach forward. Does anybody have suggestions on how to correct this stroke flaw? Your advice would be most appreciated! Thanks, Forumites! www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • I would say that rather than dropping your elbow, you are raising your hand too high after entry. If you compare the other hand you will notice that it extends straight forwards rather and reaching up towards the surface. You can try just extending your left hand/arm straight forwards or slightly downwards to over compensate. You really want your hand to be about 8-10 inches below the water (as you reach forwards). Hope this helps! Elaine: May I suggest that rather than "dropping your elbow," you may actually be lifting your hand. I took a couple of screen shots from your video (left and right sides), and what I see is that the relative position of your upper arm is the same, but the relative position of your hand is significantly different. Left Arm: 10426 Right Arm: 10427 Concentrate on your hand position on your left side; really extend and reach out toward the end of the pool like you're doing on your right side. In my opinion, if you're doing it right, you'll feel a bit of a stretch in the upper side of your forearm. Sometimes, when I am working on things like this, I might put a small paddle on the ONE hand in focus. It's like a reminder. This is a pretty common issue, and I believe it's caused by a balance compensation when the swimmer turns to breathe, so you may find that this impacts your breathing, but it's so slight of a change, it may be very easy for you to fix. Well, Ganache and Swim Dogs, it looks like you are both in agreement with what I am doing wrong. :agree: I never thought of it this way, because I was so focused on the elbow. We are going back to the pool today with the camera, so I will see what I can do to fix this problem. I'm thinking my freestyle flaw will be easier to fix than the problem I'm having with butterfly! Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it very much! :D P.S. I love your Swim Dogs name and logo! :applaud: This is my license plate: 10428
  • I would say that rather than dropping your elbow, you are raising your hand too high after entry. If you compare the other hand you will notice that it extends straight forwards rather and reaching up towards the surface. You can try just extending your left hand/arm straight forwards or slightly downwards to over compensate. You really want your hand to be about 8-10 inches below the water (as you reach forwards). Hope this helps! Elaine: May I suggest that rather than "dropping your elbow," you may actually be lifting your hand. I took a couple of screen shots from your video (left and right sides), and what I see is that the relative position of your upper arm is the same, but the relative position of your hand is significantly different. Left Arm: 10426 Right Arm: 10427 Concentrate on your hand position on your left side; really extend and reach out toward the end of the pool like you're doing on your right side. In my opinion, if you're doing it right, you'll feel a bit of a stretch in the upper side of your forearm. Sometimes, when I am working on things like this, I might put a small paddle on the ONE hand in focus. It's like a reminder. This is a pretty common issue, and I believe it's caused by a balance compensation when the swimmer turns to breathe, so you may find that this impacts your breathing, but it's so slight of a change, it may be very easy for you to fix. Well, Ganache and Swim Dogs, it looks like you are both in agreement with what I am doing wrong. :agree: I never thought of it this way, because I was so focused on the elbow. We are going back to the pool today with the camera, so I will see what I can do to fix this problem. I'm thinking my freestyle flaw will be easier to fix than the problem I'm having with butterfly! Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it very much! :D P.S. I love your Swim Dogs name and logo! :applaud: This is my license plate: 10428
Children
No Data