Freestyle help needed: One dropped elbow

Now that Nationals are over, it's back to the drawing board- or, at least video feedback for stroke flaws. This video my husband shot for me today shows I am dropping my left elbow on entry, and it's waving around a bit as I reach forward. Does anybody have suggestions on how to correct this stroke flaw? Your advice would be most appreciated! Thanks, Forumites! www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • Elaine: May I suggest that rather than "dropping your elbow," you may actually be lifting your hand. I took a couple of screen shots from your video (left and right sides), and what I see is that the relative position of your upper arm is the same, but the relative position of your hand is significantly different. Left Arm: 10426 Right Arm: 10427 Concentrate on your hand position on your left side; really extend and reach out toward the end of the pool like you're doing on your right side. In my opinion, if you're doing it right, you'll feel a bit of a stretch in the upper side of your forearm. Sometimes, when I am working on things like this, I might put a small paddle on the ONE hand in focus. It's like a reminder. This is a pretty common issue, and I believe it's caused by a balance compensation when the swimmer turns to breathe, so you may find that this impacts your breathing, but it's so slight of a change, it may be very easy for you to fix.
  • Elaine: May I suggest that rather than "dropping your elbow," you may actually be lifting your hand. I took a couple of screen shots from your video (left and right sides), and what I see is that the relative position of your upper arm is the same, but the relative position of your hand is significantly different. Left Arm: 10426 Right Arm: 10427 Concentrate on your hand position on your left side; really extend and reach out toward the end of the pool like you're doing on your right side. In my opinion, if you're doing it right, you'll feel a bit of a stretch in the upper side of your forearm. Sometimes, when I am working on things like this, I might put a small paddle on the ONE hand in focus. It's like a reminder. This is a pretty common issue, and I believe it's caused by a balance compensation when the swimmer turns to breathe, so you may find that this impacts your breathing, but it's so slight of a change, it may be very easy for you to fix.
Children
No Data