Spinal arthritis and swimming

I've had a very rough month, had to drop out of my masters swim class and stop running. I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis, a displacement of the lumbar vertebrae, which pinched a couple nerves and caused extreme pain down the left leg. I still have lingering aches, but feeling almost normal again. It's caused by arthritis eating away the bone of the vertebrae and allowing them to slip. I had been running 3-4 miles every other day and swimming 1500-2500 yards alternate days (had not begun biking yet). I'm getting PT once a week a gym and once in a pool. Running is out of the question for the foreseeable future, but what about getting back in the pool? Has anyone had this issue and what do I need to be doing to get back in the water.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I am new here, but may I add? About three years ago I was tentatively diagnosed with caudal regression syndrome. When I was young doctors had focused on my organ disformations, etc. Now, at 50+ it is my lower spine and hip that will probably need surgery soon. I have been riding a Schwinn Airdyne for years. The last several months rides caused a lot of back and hip pain. I started swimming a month ago. It has alleviated my back pain to where instead of 4-5 hydro a day, I am taking 1-2, and some days none. Although I will still need the surgery, swimming was like Tommy's Miracle Cure.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I am new here, but may I add? About three years ago I was tentatively diagnosed with caudal regression syndrome. When I was young doctors had focused on my organ disformations, etc. Now, at 50+ it is my lower spine and hip that will probably need surgery soon. I have been riding a Schwinn Airdyne for years. The last several months rides caused a lot of back and hip pain. I started swimming a month ago. It has alleviated my back pain to where instead of 4-5 hydro a day, I am taking 1-2, and some days none. Although I will still need the surgery, swimming was like Tommy's Miracle Cure.
Children
No Data