Spinal arthritis and swimming

I've had a very rough month, had to drop out of my masters swim class and stop running. I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis, a displacement of the lumbar vertebrae, which pinched a couple nerves and caused extreme pain down the left leg. I still have lingering aches, but feeling almost normal again. It's caused by arthritis eating away the bone of the vertebrae and allowing them to slip. I had been running 3-4 miles every other day and swimming 1500-2500 yards alternate days (had not begun biking yet). I'm getting PT once a week a gym and once in a pool. Running is out of the question for the foreseeable future, but what about getting back in the pool? Has anyone had this issue and what do I need to be doing to get back in the water.
Parents
  • I'm really glad this thread came up. I'm constantly trying to learn and can lend from experience . I've got DDD, spondi , arthritis and stenosis in lumbar. Also at C4 thru C7. My background is triathlon in 80s and early 90s, running 5k up to 50k races until 2010. I quit running at age 50, never a problem. Decided to go back to riding and swimming. I had an acute back injury on Swiss ball that wouldn't seem to respond. I jumped into a surgery ,as MRI showed stenosis prevelant at L4-5. At the time, I was swimming well again, but wanted to ride. The surgery a bilateral laminectomy ...major stuff I discovered and very invasive posteriorly . The surgery failed. I'd collapsed was the diagnosis . There wasn't enough support when the lamina was removed.I was able to swim, but couldn't stand for any length of time without being crushed. The only answer was a PILF ( posterior inter body lumbar fusion ). So went with it and it failed also. This was Feb 2013.I've not had a revision.BTW, I had surgery on right shoulder August 2013 for torn labrum and bicep reattachment ...easy compared to back stuff. A couple other surgeries tossed in on abdomen for colon resection and couple of heart ablations made for a difficult 26 months. My neuros and sports med contacts tell me to keep doing what you do, though the level below at L5-s1 is impinging on both exiting nerve roots. L3-4 above is unstable . I know that revision is more carpentry and carries risk . Swimming is my lifeline. It is my pain management, along with ice. I stick to quality workouts with 40,000 yds a month as goal. Done a few meets lately with satisfying results. To the OP, someone suggested core work. It is essential. Find a good PT or two. Glean things fRom working with them that you can do on your own. Find a great chiropractor. He/ she can really help with spondi . I go two-three times a week. Try accupuncture, get an inversion table. Do and try everything you can and figure out what works for you. Most of all , get in the pool. For me, I've never had a swim where I didn't feel better afterward. And someone else mentioned diet.Yes! Try to find foods that help with inflammation . Turmeric , Bromelain , etc.. You can't outrun your genes, but you can find a way to do certain activities you love...and do them on your own terms. As for the cervical area, I recommend the Saunders home traction machine. It is effective and portable . Living with major back issues is tough.It's hard work and certainly limits you. But you may surprise yourself with activities you can do. The main thing ,IMO, is to keep moving. Swimming is one sport that is forgiving . It doesn't know compression. I hope you get some relief and find a satisfying remedy in the water. Hang in there!
  • I'm really glad this thread came up. I'm constantly trying to learn and can lend from experience . I've got DDD, spondi , arthritis and stenosis in lumbar. Also at C4 thru C7. My background is triathlon in 80s and early 90s, running 5k up to 50k races until 2010. I quit running at age 50, never a problem. Decided to go back to riding and swimming. I had an acute back injury on Swiss ball that wouldn't seem to respond. I jumped into a surgery ,as MRI showed stenosis prevelant at L4-5. At the time, I was swimming well again, but wanted to ride. The surgery a bilateral laminectomy ...major stuff I discovered and very invasive posteriorly . The surgery failed. I'd collapsed was the diagnosis . There wasn't enough support when the lamina was removed.I was able to swim, but couldn't stand for any length of time without being crushed. The only answer was a PILF ( posterior inter body lumbar fusion ). So went with it and it failed also. This was Feb 2013.I've not had a revision.BTW, I had surgery on right shoulder August 2013 for torn labrum and bicep reattachment ...easy compared to back stuff. A couple other surgeries tossed in on abdomen for colon resection and couple of heart ablations made for a difficult 26 months. My neuros and sports med contacts tell me to keep doing what you do, though the level below at L5-s1 is impinging on both exiting nerve roots. L3-4 above is unstable . I know that revision is more carpentry and carries risk . Swimming is my lifeline. It is my pain management, along with ice. I stick to quality workouts with 40,000 yds a month as goal. Done a few meets lately with satisfying results. To the OP, someone suggested core work. It is essential. Find a good PT or two. Glean things fRom working with them that you can do on your own. Find a great chiropractor. He/ she can really help with spondi . I go two-three times a week. Try accupuncture, get an inversion table. Do and try everything you can and figure out what works for you. Most of all , get in the pool. For me, I've never had a swim where I didn't feel better afterward. And someone else mentioned diet.Yes! Try to find foods that help with inflammation . Turmeric , Bromelain , etc.. You can't outrun your genes, but you can find a way to do certain activities you love...and do them on your own terms. As for the cervical area, I recommend the Saunders home traction machine. It is effective and portable . Living with major back issues is tough.It's hard work and certainly limits you. But you may surprise yourself with activities you can do. The main thing ,IMO, is to keep moving. Swimming is one sport that is forgiving . It doesn't know compression. I hope you get some relief and find a satisfying remedy in the water. Hang in there!
Children
No Data