How do I know if I'm swimming hard enough to build stamina?

Former Member
Former Member
I just started getting back into a routine of swimming laps so that I can improve my fitness enough to start taking surf lessons within the next month or two. Right now I aim to swim a mile each workout, and in a few weeks I'm planning on adding some sprints and breath control sets to mix it up and get in better shape. I'm not interested in swimming for speed or joining a Master's group, I simply want to swim regularly to build up my fitness and stamina, and also to challenge myself and get some adrenaline pumping. My question is, how do I know if my swim workouts are hard enough for my fitness and stamina to improve? Is it enough for me to just be breathing a little fast, or do I need to kick my own butt and feel pretty out of breath at the end of a set or workout? I try to swim at a vigorous but constant pace, but after swimming a mile I'm not the least bit tired or out of breath. I know that I need to push myself out of my comfort zone to build fitness, but how far is far enough?
Parents
  • I think it's great that you want to swim more. But you're kind of all over the place with the description of your current status, and where you want to be. You say that you "don't want to swim for speed" but then talk about how "you need to swim at a vigorous pace." But your initial point of swimming more is for your surfing. So, in this case, I just think you might be best served by sticking to the mantra "practice how you play." In other words...do your swim workouts as if you're out surfing. After a wave, how far do you have to swim back out to where you catch the waves? Do repeats of the distance. And, if I were you, I would do a workout at the beach frequently...swimming out through the breakers -- practicing how you play. Dan
  • I think it's great that you want to swim more. But you're kind of all over the place with the description of your current status, and where you want to be. You say that you "don't want to swim for speed" but then talk about how "you need to swim at a vigorous pace." But your initial point of swimming more is for your surfing. So, in this case, I just think you might be best served by sticking to the mantra "practice how you play." In other words...do your swim workouts as if you're out surfing. After a wave, how far do you have to swim back out to where you catch the waves? Do repeats of the distance. And, if I were you, I would do a workout at the beach frequently...swimming out through the breakers -- practicing how you play. Dan
Children
No Data