Salt water conversion made me sick?

Former Member
Former Member
I was so excited to learn our pool was finally converting to salt water. While I was swimming, the pool dude dumped 3 huge bags of salt in each lane. That night I experienced sinusitis -- huge thick amounts of mucus (sorry, I know this is gross). That was a week ago. I'm still sick - just tons of gunk coming out everyday, I'm really fatigued, can't taste anything. I haven't had a voice in 3 days (some people are happy about that!:applaud: I haven't swam since Friday. Is this possible that the sudden onslaught of salt brought this on? I wear a silicone cap and nose clips. I'm trying to do this the natural way - ginger tea, and an antihistamine, but I miss the pool. This is a bummer
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Nor FINA. The only thing that is really dictated related to water conditions is the temperature. This is really interesting (for me anyway) since we've been trying to lobby our local Y to find an alternate to chlorine for the past four or five years . The director and aquatics manager (who is also the swim coach) flat out said no, and that he would not consider the salt. The reason being, that the kids team would be prohibited from hosting officially sanctioned swim meets "according to the rule book". Having done more research, it turns out that salt pools are indeed legal, and have become much more common as mentioned in this article about a Y in Allentown PA. The expense seems quite reasonable, and the health benefits surely outweigh the conversion costs. Interestingly, our local lifesaving corporation has raised enough money to go with an ionization system which is slightly less money than the salt conversion. Apologies for the misinformation! And thank you for pointing this out!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Nor FINA. The only thing that is really dictated related to water conditions is the temperature. This is really interesting (for me anyway) since we've been trying to lobby our local Y to find an alternate to chlorine for the past four or five years . The director and aquatics manager (who is also the swim coach) flat out said no, and that he would not consider the salt. The reason being, that the kids team would be prohibited from hosting officially sanctioned swim meets "according to the rule book". Having done more research, it turns out that salt pools are indeed legal, and have become much more common as mentioned in this article about a Y in Allentown PA. The expense seems quite reasonable, and the health benefits surely outweigh the conversion costs. Interestingly, our local lifesaving corporation has raised enough money to go with an ionization system which is slightly less money than the salt conversion. Apologies for the misinformation! And thank you for pointing this out!!
Children
No Data